REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Magnetic Net Release

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Magnetic Net Release

Postby midger » October 19th, 2012, 3:39 pm

Magnetic Net Release

I’ll be the first to admit that I hate carrying a net. It’s bothersome, I hate it swinging around, and with most of the fish caught, totally not required. I’ve kind of changed my mind while fishing this summer here in Idaho where the average fish is somewhat larger than most I caught in California and where I’m often waist deep out in a river with nowhere to move the fish to for a safe landing/release. The whitefish you catch here are another factor. Those darn things will not hold still when you try to get them to where you can safely unhook them.

I’d always seen the magnetic net holders so thought I’d give one a shot. I found one on ebay that has a rated 7 pound magnet, and I can vouch for it being at least 7 pounds to release the net. The coiled retainer cord makes it virtually impossible to lose, and it easily stretches to about 4-5 feet to make movement of the net easy. Rehooking the net just requires a reach over your back shoulder and the magnets easily grab each other again.

There are quite a few different models around. I decided to go with the cheapest one as why spend $17.99 to $29.95 for an Orvis, Brodin, or whatever name brand when you can get one of these—I got mine in about 3 days from the time I placed the order:

$10.99 including shipping at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Net-Release-for-Fly-Fishing-Green-Color-w-Coiled-Lanyard-/230837644181?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35befeeb95

Works well to help me tame those fish so I can get them released quickly without me having to wade to shore.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: Magnetic Net Release

Postby meb » October 20th, 2012, 1:50 pm

Hi Mike,

I have recently bought a new net and a magnetic release after not using one for a long time. I have a magnetic attachment, but without the coiled cord. The magnetic release works fine although it's always picking up loose magnetic stuff in my bag and sometimes bangs me in the head when I put my vest on.

It doesn't seem natural to me yet when I use a net, and I feel like I need a third hand or I want to put the net or rod down. I got one mostly for Hot Creek where unbuttoning a fish while staying out of the water can be a hassle.

Mark
meb

Postby DrCreek » October 20th, 2012, 2:08 pm

NIce call MIchael. Like you, I've never had any real need for a net. Greg /Fishfreak911 however has a net that I wanted so bad I almost stole it ! Anyway, he uses some unusually strong/secure magnets for his nets. Makes me wonder what the pull-pounds on his were.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Bernard » October 20th, 2012, 3:33 pm

I started using these about 3 years ago and love them. Also, if you ever had a box of flies spill amidst some boulders or in grass, the magnets will save you huge grief in retrieving those flies.
B.
Bernard

Postby beachbum » October 20th, 2012, 6:15 pm

Nets are pretty handy when you are deep wading, and I think the ability to net a fish quickly saves wear and tear on the fish. I have the same magentic set up, but put the net side magnet on the hoop rather then the handle. It seems to catch less branches when I bushwack with that configuration.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby midger » October 20th, 2012, 6:30 pm

Bernard wrote: Also, if you ever had a box of flies spill amidst some boulders or in grass, the magnets will save you huge grief in retrieving those flies.
B.

I'd never thought of this use for the magnets, but they are undoubtedly strong enough to use them that way. Usually I don't spill flies, but rather drop my box in the water midstream then end up chasing it and hoping I can catch it before it gets to deeper water. A quick disconnect net may make it easier to extend my reach and grab the box.

Mark,
I'm sure you could just use the magnet portion as they are quite strong. The coiled return cord is insurance and to whack you in the head if it gets caught in the brush so you won't inadvertantly leave your net behind (I guess). :lol:

I still doubt I use a net in the local SoCal area, but did find it very nice when in deeper water.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby flybob » October 21st, 2012, 1:26 pm

Great find Mike.

The coiled cord is a must for me...I don't how many times I have used my net to land a fish, take the pic, put the fish back get up and start to fish again....only to feel a tug at on my pack, turn around and see my net in the water trying to go down stream! :doh:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby WadeK » November 27th, 2012, 9:07 am

I hate the COILED cord as it grabbed branches too well when moving through brush. I replaced mine with 3/16" bungee from Sports Chalet sold by the foot in the ropes/climbing gear area. I also did this to my wading staff. Neither grabs brush nearly as bad as the coiled cord.
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby RichardCullip » November 27th, 2012, 9:29 am

beachbum wrote:Nets are pretty handy when you are deep wading, and I think the ability to net a fish quickly saves wear and tear on the fish. I have the same magentic set up, but put the net side magnet on the hoop rather then the handle. It seems to catch less branches when I bushwack with that configuration.

Like Bill, I put the magnetic release on the hoop end of the net not on the handle. I like how the net rides on my back btwn my shoulder blades with the handle pointing down. I also don't clip the net/magnetic release to my vest until I have put the vest on. This eliminates the awkwardness of trying to put on the vest while the net is attached.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Return to Gear Review