REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

LL Bean Pocket Water photo shoot

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

LL Bean Pocket Water photo shoot

Postby flyguy » November 29th, 2012, 6:58 pm

I have wanted to check out the Pocketwater and finally got one in hand and was able to view the inside.

The drag mechanism is a different take on the traditional hardy Lightweight version.
The reel's silver finish is sharply accented by the high glass black metal and the latch cover, drag knob and counter balance. These are tight and well made cool little reels!

WF5F 50 yards of 20 pound backing. The Pocket Water Reel weighs 3.85 ounces and has a diameter of 2 7/8 inches & 7/8" wide.

ImageImageImageImageImage
flyguy

Re: LL Bean Pocket Water photo shoot

Postby Papasequoia » November 29th, 2012, 11:08 pm

Looks like it's $79 - good deal, thanks for the review.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Re: LL Bean Pocket Water photo shoot

Postby midger » November 30th, 2012, 8:17 am

I just compared this reel to one of my older Scientific Anglers System One 456 (1985 vintage) reels. The similarities are evident as the reels are built identically and look a lot alike as well. The old System Ones were good click/pawl reels and virtually bullet proof--and cheap. I think they were about $35 back in the day, so if the current LL Bean model is as good, it should prove to be good value for the $$$$.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Return to Gear Review