REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Orvis Hydros 3

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Orvis Hydros 3

Postby duckdog » January 4th, 2013, 9:13 am

Last May my lovely wife got me an Orvis Hydros . It was an anniversary present. Beautiful reel, I used it on Crowley and Hot creek about a dozen times and it worked just fine. I had quit a few fish on Crowley go into the backing, no problem. Orvis has just run a sale on them so I got another one, just pulled that little beauty out of the box, flipped it over-MADE IN CHINA. Now if something works well then it works well,no matter where it was made so I will still enjoy the reel (the first reel did not have a made in china sticker on it). Most of you may have already known that Orvis was having it's reels made in China- I did not . This will be the last made in China Orvis reel that I buy. Any future reel will be made in America.
duckdog

Re: Orvis Hydros 3

Postby NorcalBob » January 4th, 2013, 11:56 am

Looks like you already know this, but ALL Orvis reels are made overseas now. Low end reels are made in China, higher end reels are made in Korea, and some select stuff (very high end!) is made in the UK.
NorcalBob

Re: Orvis Hydros 3

Postby fly addict » January 4th, 2013, 12:51 pm

It’s sad but true. Most ff gear is now made in a place with absolutely no flyfishing history. I also enjoy riding my motorcycle and I wonder how long it will be before they are made in china.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Return to Gear Review