REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Thermos coffee mug

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Thermos coffee mug

Postby lucfish » January 11th, 2013, 10:47 am

For Christmas I recieved a Thermos coffee mug. It holds 16 ounces of hot or cold drinks. I used it extensively on the fishing trip I just took with Papa and I can tell you even with the air temps below freezing the coffee stayed hot for 8 hours. Jon will testify to that. It's like having a insulated thermos in a smaller size. I really like it. Another thing I like about it is when your in a boat there is no handle to catch the flyline, an important feature if you want to avoid frustration. I do not know the cost. Here is a pic of what it looks like.

lucfish

Re: Thermos coffee mug

Postby darrin terry » January 11th, 2013, 6:07 pm

I use one of these too and they are hands down the best thermal mug I've ever used and I own or have owned around 20 different thermal mugs over the last 22 years.

I will add that the Thermos Raya 18 oz. Bottle is the best thermos I have ever used. When I make coffee I use a coffee press that makes about 34 oz. Between the mug and thermos I can have hot coffee for up to around 16+ hours. In fact, if I make coffee around 10 AM and don't open the thermos, it is still warm enough to drink the next morning (no longer hot, but warm enough).

http://www.thermos.com/products/vacuum-insulated-18-oz-black-and-silver-beverage-bottle.aspx

Target is the only place I've found both of them.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby RiverRat » January 11th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Thanks guys....I've botten three disappointments this year and now know what to buy!

shane
RiverRat

Postby darrin terry » January 12th, 2013, 3:07 am

Shane, on the mug…I don't know that I get 8 hours of "hot", but I certainly get 4-6 if I'm not drinking much. If I am drinking then two things affect that. One, I run out of coffee sooner, obviously. Two, as the level drops, so does the amount of heat, both due to loss of hot liquid and repeated opening of the top.

Another thing about the mug is that it is very well sealed. I've tossed mine in my backpack, had it roll around the cab of my pickup, even toss it across the room to a buddy and never had a leak in well over a year. Just clean it per Thermos' mfg. recommendations (hand wash, no abrasive scrubbers or detergents and no bleach) and use it again. During the colder half of the year it get almost daily use. Actually, they both do.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby johnnhoj » January 12th, 2013, 10:55 pm

DITTO!
This is the absolute best coffee mug on the planet. My mug keeps my coffee hot 4-5 Hrs. I've had mine for over two years now, and abused the heck out of it. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking, not a leak out of the lid yet! I liked it so much that I got a spare in the cupboard just in case I misplace the original. I bought the thermos too. It works even better. It keeps my coffee warm enough to drink 24Hrs. after filling. This summer I camped at Virginia Lks. and would fill the thermos in the morning. I generally wouldn't drink all the coffee, and would leave it in there till the next day. When I got up the next day I would poor what was left in the thermos and it would still be warm enough to drink, not piping hot, mind you, but still comfortably warm. My old green Stanley never worked so good, ever! Stanley's customer service was excellent, but sadly the thermos sucked.

A little trick my grandfather taught me was to fill the thermos/mug up with hot water before the coffee, let it sit for a few minutes then dump the water. This gets the container nice and warm so that no heat from your coffee is lost to it.
Go Lakers!
johnnhoj

Postby Fishfreak911 » January 13th, 2013, 9:39 pm

Thanks Luc, I'll put that on my list. It's hard to find a good one indeed.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby WanderingBlues » January 22nd, 2013, 9:17 am

Thanks for the reviews. I was just getting ready to pony up for a good thermos.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Papasequoia » January 22nd, 2013, 10:42 am

I was in the big city yesterday gawking at skyscrapers (Palmdale) and enjoying something called "holiday traffic" when I decided to stop by Target. Unfortunately, the shelves were empty of this mug, however, the other types of Thermos products that were there had little labels on them about how long they keep food hot or cold. The thermos pictured above had a '12 hours hot' label on it, but they also had a different one with a '24 hours hot' label on it. Unfortunately, they did not have any travel mugs, so the search will continue. Perhaps further south, where I hear that there is a land called 'Oz' (or maybe it is two other letters?).
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Jason » January 23rd, 2013, 11:04 am

Oddly enough, I was sitting here sipping some coffee out of my relatively new Thermos brand mug and saw this thread. I think my wife got this from Amazon for around $25.

No handle (which I prefer) a sealing top that can be disassembled for cleaning, and it keeps liquids hot for a long time. I'm not sure about 8hrs, because I'm usually drinking it the whole time, but if it were filled, closed and then left for several hours I'm sure it'd still be plenty hot.

As and added bonus, the surface takes a sticker really well. The only thing I don't care for, and the reason for the sticker, is that the top is symmetrical and it's not easy to tell where the front is. I poured hot coffee on the side of my mouth several times before I added the sticker. It looks better with the sticker anyways! :mrgreen:

Jason

Return to Gear Review