REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Nautilus NV 10/11 G-8

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Nautilus NV 10/11 G-8

Postby briansII » March 8th, 2013, 1:49 pm

This reel has been my go to, workhorse reel for the past two seasons +. In that time, it has not had one problem or hiccup. The reel can sit in water on the bottom of my stripping bucket for hours a day. It gets laid down, and banged around. I never back off the drag. I never wipe the reel down after a long day on the water. Guess you can say it's been rode hard and put up wet. It goes about holding line, and when need be, smoothly releases line when a fish pulls on the other end. The best endorsement I can make for it is, I don't even think about this reel when I use it. Some of my other reels require thought when chasing fish that pull hard.

briansII
briansII

Re: Nautilus NV 10/11 G-8

Postby EvGrin » March 8th, 2013, 2:03 pm

how much backing did you line that beast with? I've been using my t-10 torque for about 2 years as well and can't say anything bad about it. But I am in the market for a new spey reel. can't decide between the NV, abel super10, hatch, or abel spey.. orrr I could be happy with what I have and save money, But I love gear so much.. haha
EvGrin

Postby briansII » March 8th, 2013, 4:37 pm

EvGrin wrote:how much backing did you line that beast with? I've been using my t-10 torque for about 2 years as well and can't say anything bad about it. But I am in the market for a new spey reel. can't decide between the NV, abel super10, hatch, or abel spey.. orrr I could be happy with what I have and save money, But I love gear so much.. haha

I went with 30lb dacron backing on this reel. It has approximately 250 yards. The thought of winding on 400+ yards of gelspun just didn't appeal to me. :|

I just talked to someone today, who used a T-10 on a spey rod. Not sure why, but he's selling it. Of the reels you list, I personally like the Abel Spey. If I wanted a substantial drag, the Nautilus would obviously be high on my list..... but the Hatch would definitely make the decision a lot tougher. I really like my Abel Super 8(non ported), but the cork drag does lose something when it's wet. A Tibor Riptide would look nice strapped to a spey. The Bauer Spey is kinda sexy. It would be wrong not to consider a classic Hardy. :P

....but since I'm not buying anymore gear for 2013, I don't really think about reels and rods anymore.........

briansII
briansII

Postby stanbery » March 9th, 2013, 1:29 am

....but since I'm not buying anymore gear for 2013, I don't really think about reels and rods anymore.........

What a liar you are!@!!! :LIAR: :LIAR: :LOLO: :LOLO:

Nice looking reel.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Sasha » March 9th, 2013, 10:24 am

stanbery wrote:

Nice looking reel.

Jon

:funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup:
Sasha

Postby briansII » March 9th, 2013, 10:58 am

stanbery wrote:

Nice looking reel.

Jon

O ye of little faith. You just wait and see. No more toys for the rest of the year!

...that does not include essentials like fly lines, fly tying, spare spools, etc.......

briansII
briansII

Return to Gear Review