REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Hardy New & Old

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Hardy New & Old

Postby briansII » May 3rd, 2013, 12:52 pm

I'm doing a 180 from my review of the Nautilus NV reel I did a while back. Going from space material, sealed drag, to a click and pawl "drag". Extensive machining, to very little CNC work. Light, vs somewhat heavy reels.

For spey rods, the accepted norm is to use a heavier reel to balance out the longer, tip heavy rods. I chose a Hardy Marquis Salmon 2 for my big rod. I went with a new model, built in Korea. Many reviews stated they were just as good, and even better in some regards, as the original, English built reels. I've used the reel 6-8 times, and just recently had a failure. The reel was wet, and I noticed the click was not as loud, and the spool spun easier. One cast later and the reel was in free spool. I pulled the spool to find the pawl was sticking and not engaging. I messed with it, and it worked again.....for one cast. I had the spool off about 4 times before I could get it to function correctly. Once home I dried the reel, and cleaned off the factory grease. I re-greased the reel with Quantum's Hot Sauce grease. Had it out this week, and it works fine again. Doing some research, it seems other people have had other problems with the Korean Hardys. :| I also have a Korean Hardy LRH, that I've had zero problems with. I'm looking at buying extra springs, just in case.

I've had a English,SA System 8(made by Hardy) out about the same amount of times as the Korean built Marquis. Zero problems so far. The one thing I notice on the English reel is the drag/click & pawl does not have as much resistance/drag as the Korean reel. English reels are cast and machined. Korean are machined from billet. Also, the finish is no where near as nice/durable. Paint vs anodized.

Which reel is "better". I'm leaning towards the old reels.

Old on left. New old on right.

I like new, new reels too.

briansII
briansII

Re: Hardy New & Old

Postby meb » May 10th, 2013, 7:38 pm

We seem to be on similar paths. I own quite a few old Hardys and Sage (made by Hardy) 505's and 506s. Never had a problem. I have two new Hardy Marquis Salmon 1 an 2 Korean made reels for my spey rods. Haven't had a problem yet, but if I had the money, I'd probably try and get English made ones.
meb

Return to Gear Review