REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Backpack Modifications

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Backpack Modifications

Postby Benny » July 18th, 2013, 3:31 pm

Currently I own a Gregory Z55, it's a nice backpack. The specs say it weighs 4+ lbs but I just don't feel it's correct, it actually seem much lighter. Anyhow it has an inside pocket for a hydration bladder that I don't use. I just don't need to be carrying so much water when in the Sierra. I made a few slight modification to carry water up front on the straps. The idea is not mine I got the idea from a fellow fly fisher Richard Cullip. Richard had a similar carrying system. I thought it would be a good idea to post some of the photos I took of my own modifications that I made to my own backpack.

This image above is of one of the shoulder straps with a shock cord looped and tied to the shoulder strap. The shock cord is placed here to keep the water bottle from swinging while walking. Super easy to do, I recycled the shock cord from an old cycling jacket that I never use anymore.

This is blue para cord that has all the inside strands removed to lighten up the cord and make it easier to sew. I sewed the cord vs tying a knot to try and get a cleaner look. I hope it will hold up over time. If it doesn't I guess I will have to go with a knot.

This is what it looks like finished and ready for the water bottle. I'm using recycled Gatorade bottles for carrying my water, I believe they weigh 1.5 ounces which is very nice. Oh the plastic hooks were cut off the back of my pack, I think they were supposed to be used for carrying an ice ax, I don't carry one and don't plan on carrying one so off they went.

The end results with a full water bottle above, and two Gatorade bottles below, one full and one empty. I like it so far walking around the house, need to take it back on the trail and really test the system out.

Hope this is helpful to anyone looking for an easy modification to their backpack.
Benny

Re: Backpack Modifications

Postby Rob909 » July 18th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Nice!!!! I like it.

Rob
Rob909

Postby Jason » July 18th, 2013, 3:43 pm

That's pretty cool! I never considered the shock cord idea. I might make something like that for my camera, which I would love to have hanging on the front of the strap.
Jason

Postby RichardCullip » July 18th, 2013, 4:50 pm

I love how my ULA CDT pack came with the water bottle straps on the shoulder pads. The bottles carry very easy and are always within reach for a quick sip. Much more convenient than trying to carry them in a side pocket.

BTW - you can lighten up those Gatorade bottles by taking the label off and removing the small orange ring that sits below the cap. It's job is done once you remove the cap for the first time and it's now just dead weight. Granted, not much dead weight, but everything weighs something ;) ;) ;)
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Papasequoia » July 18th, 2013, 6:43 pm

Interesting. The cord doesn't loosen up at all allowing them to slip out? I would be worried boulder hopping, or just making a jump across a stream that the bouncing up and down of the bottles would eventually cause one of them to slip out and float away down the stream (or wherever). Or maybe the bottles are more secure than they look?
I don't use a bladder either, and the so-called water bottle pocket on the side of the pack is a * to get to unless you are hiking with someone (thanks Mark!) so something like this could be handy. Meanwhile I have clipped my water bottle filter to the bottom of the shoulder strap when hiking alone so I can get to it without taking off the pack.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Benny » July 19th, 2013, 2:22 pm

The blue cord is actually quite snug/secure around the bottles. I believe the weight of the water helps to keep the bottles even more secure because it's pulling on the cord.

Here is a image of a closer look at the hook that is attached to the cord. It would be really hard for the cord to come off via the hook. The same for slipping over the water bottle.

Another piece of shock cord can always be attached to keep the bottles even more stable.
Benny

Postby Eric » July 20th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Benny you will be very happy with this mod. It is a great improvement over having your water in a side pocket.
Eric
Eric

Postby Benny » July 21st, 2013, 1:19 am

Eric wrote:Benny you will be very happy with this mod. It is a great improvement over having your water in a side pocket.
Eric

It's a huge improvement already Eric, especially since I don't have any side pockets at all :doh:
Benny

Return to Gear Review