REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platinum

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platinum

Postby Benny » July 21st, 2013, 12:55 pm

I have been looking at buying a new tent for quite some time now. My current tent is the an old Sierra Design Summer Moon 2 person tent, although it's only just me sleeping in the tent I do enjoy having the extra space inside. The Tent weighs just a little to much for my knees at 4 lbs 13 oz. :oo:

Well just a short time ago I pulled the trigger on the Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platinum. I thought about getting the Fly Creek 1 but opted for the 2 at only 2oz. more, plus the Fly Creek 2 was on sale for 399.96 and no taxes plus free shipping for the 2lb 3oz tent. I saved $100+ if I would have made the purchase at REI :bananadance:

Not sure of how long the tent will be on sale, here is a link to where I purchased the tent.
www.bentgate.com
Benny

Re: Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platinum

Postby Wildman » July 21st, 2013, 5:10 pm

Simply amazing how light that tent is....and how expensive! Like all good things, it is all relative. I won't tell you what we pay a month to keep horses.....
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby gabe » July 21st, 2013, 6:55 pm

Nice! I also had to purchase a new tent recently - couldn't afford a ultra light tho :sad: . I'll try and post a review on it after I get a chance to use it.
Thanks for sharing the link, and congrats on the tent.
gabe

Postby Benny » July 22nd, 2013, 10:32 am

I'm quite sure I'll be happy with this new tent, my bank account not so much. Yes it does seem that if you want really light quality gear you have to spend the extra bucks. Hopefully the Big Agnes tent will serve me as long as the Sierra Design tent.

Gabe, we need to hit the water and or the trail real soon!
Benny

Postby softhackleone » July 29th, 2013, 2:28 am

Great choice! You're going to love your tent. I love Big Agnes tents. I own the Copper Spur UL2 and Fly Creek UL3. I have to say that I should have gotten the Fly Creek UL2 and Copper Spur UL3. The reason I say that is that for two people having a door on each side of the tent is a nice convenience and you get more area for your gear. If I were you I would invest in the footprint. The last thing you want are holes in the bottom of your 400.00 tent. I will say that the Fly Creek that I own seems to have issues with condensation dripping into the tent when it collects under the rainfly and migrates to the pole joints. A minor design issue. Over all awesome tents. I've weathered a nasty thunder storm in the Copper Spur and it performed marvelously.
softhackleone

Postby Benny » August 7th, 2013, 4:33 pm

softhackleone wrote:Great choice! You're going to love your tent. I love Big Agnes tents. I own the Copper Spur UL2 and Fly Creek UL3. I have to say that I should have gotten the Fly Creek UL2 and Copper Spur UL3. The reason I say that is that for two people having a door on each side of the tent is a nice convenience and you get more area for your gear. If I were you I would invest in the footprint. The last thing you want are holes in the bottom of your 400.00 tent. I will say that the Fly Creek that I own seems to have issues with condensation dripping into the tent when it collects under the rainfly and migrates to the pole joints. A minor design issue. Over all awesome tents. I've weathered a nasty thunder storm in the Copper Spur and it performed marvelously.

Thanks for the info on the BA tents. I just bought the footprint for my Fly Creek to try and protect the floor of the tent. I definitely love the tent, it's insanely light weight, I think the heaviest part of the tent are the stakes. I'm going to be breaking in the tent this coming week from Saturday through Wednesday up in the Sierra. I'll be sure to report on the tent as well as the fly fishing.
Benny

Postby WildernessLite » January 26th, 2014, 7:51 am

Expensive, yes. But OUTSTANDING tents for ultralight backpacking. I have 2 Big Agnes tents and have used them for several years for backpacking/fly fishing/ wilderness float tubing. They are quality--durable, zippers work well, and keep rain out but ventilate well. Highly recommended as an investment to add to your backpacking gear to go the miles to get to fish that see no one but you
WildernessLite

Return to Gear Review