REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Simms Flats Sneakers

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Simms Flats Sneakers

Postby Jrc56 » July 23rd, 2013, 2:36 pm

Has anyone used the Simms Flats Sneakers. I am looking at getting a pair for wet wading. I have wading shoes right now and they are not cutting it.

I am looking for something to wear with a thin neoprene sock, 1mm or a wading sock. I want the ankle support of a boot but I dont want the stiffness of a traditional wading boot.

These seem to fit the bill, but no one locally has them in stock.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Jrc56

Re: Simms Flats Sneakers

Postby WanderingBlues » July 23rd, 2013, 7:44 pm

I think Dr. Creek tried some and did not like them at all. PM him for info.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Jrc56 » July 23rd, 2013, 9:28 pm

Will do, thanks!
Jrc56

Postby DrCreek » July 24th, 2013, 8:16 am

WanderingBlues wrote:I think Dr. Creek tried some and did not like them at all. PM him for info.

I have no working knowledge of these shoes. Curtis is referring to the Simms RipRap wet wading shoes I had purchased online for our Mammoth trip. Now that I've taken the time to figure out what sock combination works best for my needs, they're great. When I first got them, I failed to wear them around the house - just to see what kind of socks worked best with them. That was my downfall.

The RipRap's are good little shoes for walking/creeking. Reminiscent of low-top Merrell hiking shoes, they do a great job of doubling as hiking shoes AND wet wader shoes. What I don't like is their straight rubber soles don't grip wet rocks anything like my felt-soled Orvis low-tops. Much more dangerous. They make me slow down a bit, which means I'm being a little safer now, so that's cool. Hopefully someone with some Simms Flats experience will chime in.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Jrc56 » July 24th, 2013, 10:07 am

Thanks for the info!
Jrc56

Postby Jrc56 » July 26th, 2013, 9:45 am

I checked these out at a store and the sole for this seasons is way to slick to work in freshwater. The guy at the shop said that the Simms rep just showed them some new stuff. He said that they are coming out with 4-5 new boots of varying styles. So I am going to wait and see what they come out with and go from there.

I saw the old flats boots by Simms and I liked the sole a lot better on them but I have no idea what size i wear, so gonna pass on those right now.

Thanks for the comments all

Jonathan
Jrc56

Return to Gear Review