REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

James Green 5/6 weight test run

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

James Green 5/6 weight test run

Postby flyguy » August 2nd, 2013, 7:52 am

On a recent trip to one of my favorite stretches of CA water, I was able to give James Green 8'3" 5/6 WT a test run.

When casting in close, I noticed the rod had a lively tip that made it easy to make short accurate casts. I was able to load the rod with 10' of line a flick my flies under cover along the edge. When casting about 30', the rod flexes uniformly in the mid section. This made the rod is smooth and easy to fish. On longer casts. the flex in the butt section increases and the rod shows it's power.

Even though this is a 5 WT, the action makes it enjoyable to fight smaller fish. I appreciated this because most of the fish I saw on this trip were in the foot range

This rod delicately threw small mayflies, heavy nymphs and streamers on sinking leaders.
This is a great do everything rod that combines feel and functionality, making it an ideal for most river fishing in the West.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
flyguy

Re: James Green 5/6 weight test run

Postby darrin terry » August 2nd, 2013, 12:51 pm

Looks and sounds like a beautiful bit of glass to me. Looks like a beauty of a canyon as well. :D
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Return to Gear Review