REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Flex Spex - Optical Aid

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Flex Spex - Optical Aid

Postby fshflys » September 23rd, 2013, 7:34 am

I purchased a pair of Flex Spex last time I was in Mammoth replacing a set of flip focals that I had been using for the last few years. The flip focals kept falling down when I would take a long step down, like stepping off the rails on the trail to Hot Creek. Plus they always had that geeky look so I would bring a second hat to wear after I was done fishing. I first saw the Flex Spex while browsing the Orvis site but I kind of wanted to get that hands on feeling before purchasing. I asked about them in the Troutfitter this spring, showed the owner the web site. They saw them in person @ a fly show and currently have them for sale. So far I've been satisfied with them, they are a bit more expensive than the flip focals @ $29.95.

http://www.flexspex.com/index.html
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Re: Flex Spex - Optical Aid

Postby fshflys » September 16th, 2014, 8:27 am

Update on Flex Spex; the pair I bought 1 year ago broke. I had tied on a size 24 minutes earlier & while casting @ the interpretive center on Hot Creek, a gust of wind & my fly got tangled in the loop-to-loop connection. I went to pull the glasses down & the right lens was gone. I sent Flex Spex an email & they 2 day mailed me a new pair. Thank you Flex Spex - I really like these magnifiers, so much better than the Flip Focals, the Flip Focals sat too far from my eyes making it harder to focus in.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby BrownBear » September 16th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Those look perfect for me. I despise flip focals- just don't fit my eye spacing, and they're never at the right distance for me.

Thanks for the pointer!
BrownBear

Postby RiverRat » September 18th, 2014, 6:59 am

Thanks for heads up! Checking into a pair.

shane
RiverRat

Flex Spex - Optical Aid

Postby silverlaker » September 18th, 2014, 11:06 am

Looks pretty cool - but I'm in denial that vision is going to pot. Don't know who put that pair of magnifiers in my vest :)
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Return to Gear Review