REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Rainbow with bright orange bellies

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Rainbow with bright orange bellies

Postby flocktothewall » March 13th, 2013, 11:07 am

I fished a local yesterday and only in this particular drainage have I see these. I wish I would have snapped a pic, but they are wild rainbows, typical of the drainages in the SBNF area, but their bellies are BRIGHT Orange, like a brook trout. Never seen it in any other waters except one particular. Are they some sort of a hybrid? There are browns that thrive in those waters as well.

I'd think maybe spawning, but its usually the smaller ones with the brighter colors.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Re: Rainbow with bright orange bellies

Postby The Steady Foot » March 13th, 2013, 1:42 pm

I've also noticed the orange bellies on our local rainbows, however, I've noticed rainbows with orange bellies on many SoCal creeks. Likewise, it seems to be a more prevelant feature of smaller fish. I'm sure I can find a photo if I look thru my cache.

As for the possibility of a hybrid, do you mean hybrid rainbows/browns or brookies? Rainbows cannot hybridize with those species and I am not aware of any goldens in SoCal, either historically or currently. A friend hypothesizes that the orange features, especially on the fins, are indicative of steelhead genetics of the native populations.
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too, you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe....
The Steady Foot

Postby Sasha » March 13th, 2013, 2:23 pm

I see them up here from time to time, especially on a spring creek that is about four hours east of here. One thing I noticed though, I have only noticed the orange on small fish (12in and under). I have never noticed the trait on fish in the 15 to 24 inch range up here. The funny thing is that although I have caught them, I always have had a camera/pic malfunction and the shot either sucks or it is not at all.
Sasha

Postby briansII » March 13th, 2013, 2:41 pm

Flowers are blooming. Rainbow trout are spring spawners. Color variations are quite common.

briansII
briansII

Postby flocktothewall » March 13th, 2013, 3:05 pm

I know that Rainbows and Browns cant hybridize, but I've caught small fish in several streams but this one seems to be exclusive to me. Hearing others talk about them in other drainages must just mean its a growing thing.

How old do fish have to be to spawn? These guys are 6" at best.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
flocktothewall

Postby WanderingBlues » March 13th, 2013, 4:24 pm

They are coloring up for the spawn. And, as the old saying goes--- size doesn't matter... They are mature fish and their hormones are telling them to get busy. They bigger bucks will have a say in that matter, but they'll still want to try... And, we saw many local spawners this week. It's the silly season.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Sasha » March 13th, 2013, 5:35 pm

Interesting thing is that I have also noticed this coloring outside of spawning time...
Sasha

Postby Flux » March 14th, 2013, 4:18 pm

I may be silly here, but that thing looks like it has some Cut in it. Not just because of the throat, but the limited spots etc.
Flux

Postby Sasha » March 14th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Flux wrote:I may be silly here, but that thing looks like it has some Cut in it. Not just because of the throat, but the limited spots etc.

That fish is in my sig. so it shows up on all of my posts, it is not the type of fish we are discussing in this thread ;)

Yes you are quite right though, that fish is a Westslope cutthroat caught somewhere up high here in Idaho.
Sasha

Postby Flux » March 15th, 2013, 11:08 am

HA! I missed the little grey line and thought it was the fish in question.

I'll just slink away................... ;)
Flux

Postby WanderingBlues » March 15th, 2013, 1:42 pm

Yeah, Sasha just likes to remind us down here how good he has it up there.......
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby The Steady Foot » April 9th, 2013, 2:18 pm

flocktothewall wrote:I know that Rainbows and Browns cant hybridize

Yeah, I figured you knew that but the OG post was a little confusing to me the way it was worded, sorry.

Anyway, I went through an exhaustive search of my photos and came up with two not-so-great pics of orange bellied rainbows, both from the same creek, which may be the creek you describe.

The 1st photo is a better representation of what I've observed spawning rainbows to look like in small SoCal creeks. The second is certainly not. Also, the colored up bigger bow was caught in September, the smaller in April. I also have observed without a doubt fall spawn rainbows in SoCal, but on a different creek.

So, for me at least, the debate as to whether these are features of spawning rainbows continues. They could be spawning fish, but like Sasha and flocktothewall say, they seem too small/young to be spawners.
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too, you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe....
The Steady Foot

Postby flocktothewall » April 10th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Spot on. Bright orange bellies, like a brook trout would have. But only on a Rainbow.
flocktothewall

Postby fly addict » April 10th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Looks like one of those brook/brown/rainbow hybrids that the Bud Light drinking, bait chucker’s swear live in our local streams! ;) :roll:

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby briansII » April 10th, 2013, 8:39 pm

fly addict wrote:Looks like one of those brook/brown/rainbow hybrids that the Bud Light drinking, bait chucker’s swear live in our local streams! ;) :roll:

Mark

Probably a cuttbrown, or brownbow, rainbrown, or cuttyrainbrown..........

briansII
briansII

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing