REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Patagonia Sling Pack

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Patagonia Sling Pack

Postby briansII » March 28th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Specifically the Atom Sling Bag.

I was looking to downsize from a vest to something else. I needed enough room to carry some gear, but not so much room that I would carry the kitchen sink. I've owned/used fanny and chest packs, and they are not for me. I settle on trying Patagonia's, Stealth Atom Sling Pack. Unfortunately, everyone else had the same idea, and they were sold out across the country. I have one on backorder. In the meantime, I still needed something, so I went with their pedestrian version of the pack.

Atom Sling Bag

I've used it about a 1/2 dozen times, and REALLY like it. It's so comfortable, I forget I'm wearing it. Holds just enough, and will not hold much more. That's a good thing because if there's is any unused space, I have an uncontrollable need to fill it. Everything is placed behind you, and out of the way of casting. This is especially important when I'm spey casting. To access the pack, you unsnap one buckle, and the whole pack easily rotates to the front. It's facing up, so nothing falls out when you unzip it. I'm very happy with this pack. I will continue to use it, even after the fly fishing model shows up.

Fly fishing version

briansII
briansII

Re: Patagonia Sling Pack

Postby Papasequoia » March 28th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Thanks for the info, but I don't think I'm sold on it. I don't like the way the video cuts out while the statue, I mean model, is swinging it around to the front. It makes me wonder how easy/convenient it really is. Also, you only get about a one second look at the swing down zippered door. I have thought about trying one of these but I don't think it has the space I need. It only holds three standard sized trout boxes - really? Have you had any problems with your water bottle falling out while swinging it back and forth?
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby briansII » March 28th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Papasequoia wrote:Thanks for the info, but I don't think I'm sold on it. I don't like the way the video cuts out while the statue, I mean model, is swinging it around to the front. It makes me wonder how easy/convenient it really is. Also, you only get about a one second look at the swing down zippered door. I have thought about trying one of these but I don't think it has the space I need. It only holds three standard sized trout boxes - really? Have you had any problems with your water bottle falling out while swinging it back and forth?

Well, I did say I was trying to "downsize". ;) If you want something that will hold as much as a vest, it won't.

I'm not sure that video gives an accurate description of the pack. The fly fishing version could be smaller than the regular version I'm using now. Here's the links for both. Checkout the rear view of the model wearing each version.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/ste ... 8325-0-961

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/ato ... 8259-0-042

Does one look smaller. I think possibly the main compartment is smaller on the fly version. That would be fine for me, since I can fit just about all I need in the regular version, and still have room to stuff more things in. I found a reference that says the regular version has 427 cu in of space.

This would be about max what I would put in, but still room for more things. The GoPro, with harness, is not an efficient use of pack space.

Not sure why the guy in the video says 3 normal sized fly boxes. :crazy: I could probably put 8 or more in mine.....and again, still have room for more.

As for sliding the pack from front to back, that really is easy. As long as you unbuckle the one buckle in front, it's just a matter of grabbing the sling strap and pulling it around. Once in front, it's balanced, and stays put. The most difficult thing for me is once the pack is slid to my back, I have to reach around on my right to find the belly strap.

This video gives you a better idea of the size. The pack looks like it's stuffed, and expanded. Sure looks like it will hold a heck of a lot more than 3 fly boxes. BTW, this knucklehead swings the pack in front of him the wrong direction. It's supposed to go UNDER your LEFT arm. The total motion is simple, and there's very little movement....... but this guy makes it look hard. Also, he has it adjust way too tight. :doh:

Here's a review.
http://rodbuildersreview.blogspot.com/2 ... sling.html

I did quite a bit of research before I decided to buy the fly fishing version. I actually ordered the regular version before I decided to buy the the fly fishing version. I tried it on, didn't think it was big enough, and sent it back. Once I discovered the national backorder situation, I re-ordered the regular version again! :doh: :doh: This time I actually used it, and love it. The regular version is on sale at backcountry.com for $36.

Wow. That got longer that I thought it would. :sad:

Late edit. My version doesn't have a water bottle holder. I'm wondering the same thing. Will the fly model hold a bottle securely. My guess is Patagonia figured out how(mesh material with drawsting to tighten around the neck?) to do it, but I won't know for sure until I get mine. Apr 8th is the release date, and I'll give an update after I use it.

briansII
briansII

Kiene's Thread on the pack

Postby midger » March 29th, 2013, 6:05 am

Brian,
Kienes site had a writeup on this pack.
http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?28463-Patagonia-Stealth-Atom-Sling-is-hot!!!!!

I can't add anything personally as I have never even seen one.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: Kiene's Thread on the pack

Postby briansII » March 29th, 2013, 9:19 am

midger wrote:Brian,
Kienes site had a writeup on this pack.
http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?28463-Patagonia-Stealth-Atom-Sling-is-hot!!!!!

I can't add anything personally as I have never even seen one.

Thanks. When I was researching, I ran across that thread. I immediately called Kiene's, but they were out of stock. Checked several other places and the same thing. No one that I called had one. Must've been popular, with a limited release. Their fully waterproof(not water resistant)backpack is now on backorder too.

Over the years I've had good luck with Patagonia gear. They also have great customer service.

briansII
briansII

Postby k9mark » March 29th, 2013, 10:21 am

This is just like Orvis' sling pack. Which one is better do you think?
"...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have Heroes..." .....Best partner I ever had ------------->
k9mark

Postby briansII » March 29th, 2013, 12:13 pm

k9mark wrote:This is just like Orvis' sling pack. Which one is better do you think?

I tried on the Orvis, and didn't care for it. That was in the store, with nothing in it. It might be fine loaded up with stuff. I did not care for the camo color though.

briansII
briansII

Postby Jason » March 31st, 2013, 7:44 am

I'm currently using the Orvis sling pack, and while I prefer it to my vest, I'm not sold on it either. It works well enough and I like the magnetic thing for holding forceps and the pocket for flotant. One reason I bought it was to reduce the amount of stuff I carry; I aspire to being a minimalist and only having so much room helps. I do wish it had a water bottle holder though. In addition, if you overfill it, especially with a jacket of something, it 'puffs' up kind of round like a ball and doesn't feel right hanging on my back. But, it's not bad.

For wet wading while fishing small streams, I bought a small hydration backpack. It holds some water, a snack, one or two fly boxes, flotant, lip balm and a small thing of sunscreen....... that's about it. I really like this one, as I feel unencumbered when I'm scrambling around a stream, it feels like it's just me and the fly rod. When I go backpacking I strap this onto my main pack and carry it to hold my gear.

Still, I've been wanting to get my hands on the Patagonia to take a look at it. BriansII, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the pack when you actually get it and give it a try.
Jason

Postby dsundrwd » March 31st, 2013, 8:45 pm

I have a Patagonia sling pack that I got from Kiene's awhile back. My reviews are mixed. It feels great on my back, it holds a lot of gear, it seems very well made & it's hardly noticeable when worn. The main issues I have with it is I haven't quite figured out the best way to hang my net from it since the pack rides at an angle across my back & I don't have a d-ring on the front of my waders to clip the other end of my net cord (I like to wear my net with the handle facing down & the hoop attached with a magnet). I'm still playing with the mounting position for the net magnet. The next & most important issue for me is that when I slide it around to the front to access the pockets I find that it doesn't open as much as i would like & I still have to dig around inside to find what I want. I'm not a gear junkie & try to keep stuff I carry to a minimum but sometimes its a hassle to find things. Maybe that's because i don't have every nook & cranny memorized yet. It's hard to explain but I think because the straps are going around my body, it doesn't allow the compartment to fully open. Another issue is that it isn't very functional to wear in a float tube. With the pack on my back, it's hard to lean back in the seat & I find it rides funny if I just have it laying around my waist in my lap. i find that I like my chest pack better for float tubing. Other than those three issues, I think it's a great pack but not the perfect pack. Just my 2 cents
dsundrwd

Postby duckdog » April 1st, 2013, 7:55 am

I have considered a sling pack for fishing the surf but have not pulled the trigger yet. While I admire the minimalists among you I just cannot bring myself to ply any of the East side streams that I fish with out the following essentials.
4 small flip page C&F boxes for my midges and a small box of midge dry's
1 Wheatly box for Baetis drys16-20, 1 small C&F box for baetis 20-24
1 large C&F box w/ flip page for attractor and Stone fly nymphs
2 sm C&F boxs for small may fly nymphs and one for floating nymphs
1 small C&F for wd-40s and 1 for Barr emergers
1 small bacon and egg box (worms and eggs)
2 large boxes for Caddis, 1for drys 1 for pupa
1 small micro caddis box, a small mayfly spinner box
1 box for Stimmi's and a hopper box. in winter these still get used as strike indicators, and fish still take them.
1 large streamer box
1 small bugger box
1 PMD box, med.( in summer)
indicators in various sizes and color's
floatant's,nippers,pliers, stomach pump, cell phone(turned off !),split shot,gloves and wool cap in winter
leader's and tippet material, nylon and flouro 3x 6x . Trout Hunter has half sizes so I have added 5.5x and 6.5 x
a leatherman tool,a bandana, a spare pair of sun glasses, sun gloves, my reading glasses (for low light & sm.flys)
first aide kit, SOG Seal Pup knife, small flash light & batteries, 20 ft. of strong nylon cord.
a 380 cal. Berreta ( those guy's at hot creek and the E.W are a rough bunch),2 water bottles and some fruit.
I do not leave reels in my truck -SO - they go in the pack and if Crowley is open this means 2 6 wts and 3 extra spools as well as the extra spools for my 4 & 5 wts. and 2 boxes of Crowley flies
O.K aside from the obvious fact that I do need some kind of therapy , on the salt water side of it I think that I could pull off just a sling pack and be fine so thank you for your thoughts on the packs mentioned in this thread.
duckdog

Postby Papasequoia » April 1st, 2013, 9:49 am

I carry almost as much as you, Duckdog, which is why this pack probably wouldn't work for me. :lol: I carry a few more emergency items; toilet paper tops that list, but also a whistle, a small flashlight and a lighter. I use a vest and a lumbar pack (that is the masculine term for a fanny pack). :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby briansII » April 1st, 2013, 10:20 am

Papasequoia wrote:I carry almost as much as you, Duckdog, which is why this pack probably wouldn't work for me. :lol: I carry a few more emergency items; toilet paper tops that list, but also a whistle, a small flashlight and a lighter. I use a vest and a lumbar pack (that is the masculine term for a fanny pack). :D

He said "fanny pack!"

:LOLO:

briansII
briansII

Postby fflutterffly » April 1st, 2013, 2:58 pm

I've got orvis and Pata. The Patagonia is missing the magnetic pocket for the hemo's and is smaller, but it has some really great stuff. A waterproof pocket, lots of places to hang things. 4" Padded Strap w/ a small narrow zippered pocket. Plastic rings. Lot's of places to hang stuff. However, For me I also like to carry a few creature comforts and would have like the Patagonia to be the same capacity as the Orvis or a little more. I hear the new Orvis guide pack is larger than the original sling. And one other thing that Patagonia has that Orvis missed...a pocket for my water bottle.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby duckdog » April 1st, 2013, 7:24 pm

Yeah I have t.p in there too-- forgot that one. thanks for the whistle idea , yep that's going in there too now. You know what, a small camp stove and cooler so I can cook some eggs streamside while I am watching Jimmy Houston on the small flatscreen would be sweet. Oh yeah and the camera is in there too.
duckdog

Postby briansII » April 11th, 2013, 10:19 am

I found out today, the Stealth Atom Sling is back in stock at some shops. Mine should be shipped soon. :bananadance:

Papasequoia wrote: Have you had any problems with your water bottle falling out while swinging it back and forth?

Here's a picture of the pack.

Looks like they thought of that, and solved the problem with a leash around the neck.

This is JMHO, but I don't think this pack was designed for the average trout fisherman. This pack is a good size for a day trip to my local, or swinging for steelhead. The pack, coupled with my wader pouch, will hold the stuff I really need. I would not use it for a long day of trout fishing, where I tend to pack stuff, "just in case I need it". I used my non fly fishing version of the pack yesterday evening, and I just think it's the bomb. ;)

briansII
briansII

Next

Return to Gear Review