REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Opinion: Waders

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Opinion: Waders

Postby flocktothewall » April 3rd, 2013, 5:48 pm

It may be time to stir the pot, but I doubt it on this forum way too cordial. ;)

I've been fishing a pair of (on sale) $39 Hodgemans for 4 years, finally the bootie is ripping and I am coming out soaked. Its time to buy a new pair of waders. I've been to the local fly shop, and heard the sales man pitch, but what do you guys have and what do you like, dislike?

Obviously, I like Simms, I try not to be a "fly snob" and be about the "brands" (Please don't think I am saying anyone with high end stuff is - its really something I have to work on with my own pride as I can be like that from time to time)

I like the Headwaters, and thats about the TOP of what I am willing to shell out for waders at the moment, but I feel like Simms cuts out things that other people put in, such as felt lined pockets (Something I WILL WANT, and have wished to use)

Simms has the satisfaction warranty, which is nice but what are your thoughts?

I've been tossing the idea around:
Reddington Sonic - 1 year warranty, Positive reviews, +Price
Simms Headwaters - Satisfaction guarantee, Simms Name, Costly
LLBean Kennebec - LLBean Satisfaction guarantee, ++Price

What do you have, what do you like, not like? I guess I'm having a hard time because I paid so little for my current waders and they exceeded my expectations, but I do want something more "durable/dependable" so that I don't have to wonder "will I be wet today?" when I fish.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Re: Opinion: Waders

Postby Flatsix » April 3rd, 2013, 6:06 pm

I vote for Simms

Fit good
No leaks
Good Warranty
Flatsix

Postby NorcalBob » April 3rd, 2013, 6:24 pm

I vote for Simms. Yes, they are pricey, but they offer the most durable and performance oriented wader on the market. And their customer service is top notch, standing behind their product for as long as you own it (unlike Patagonia which does not). I fish a lot, and I have a pair of 2007 G3 waders that are still doing the job very nicely (but they have been sent back for repair twice).
NorcalBob

Postby Sasha » April 3rd, 2013, 7:20 pm

I am going to vote "Other". I got a pair of Dan Baileys back in 07; I beat the crap out of them and they still have not had a single leak (knocking on wood). Maybe I am just lucky but based on this luck, I don't think I will switch when the time comes for new ones... Not that I think that there is anything wrong with Simms etc. * I love my Simms boots.
Sasha

Postby Autodave » April 3rd, 2013, 7:24 pm

I like my Simms, I found them on sale(30% off) -well worth the money
Autodave

Postby briansII » April 3rd, 2013, 8:19 pm

If I had a pair of Hodgman's last 4 years, I'd tend to go back to those. I had a pair of cheap Albrights last a 2-3 years, then I tore them on barbed wire. :doh: Tried to buy another pair, but they seemed to be permanently out of stock.

I still have my original pair of Simms Guide waders. They must be close to 15 years old? They have many spots of Aquaseal, but all the seams and booties are intact. Have a new pair of Simms.....I don't even know the model? It's a mid to lower priced model. Anyway, very comfortable, have that lined pocket, and I like em'!

briansII
briansII

Postby flocktothewall » April 3rd, 2013, 8:37 pm

briansII wrote:If I had a pair of Hodgman's last 4 years, I'd tend to go back to those.

That was my initial thought, but exactly what you said, they seem to be permanently out of stock or priced over $100, and I figure if I'm gonna throw $100 might as well "splurge" and spend more for something "nice"
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Mark 1:17
flocktothewall

Postby Wildman » April 3rd, 2013, 8:44 pm

I bought a pair of Simms Blackfoot waders five years ago. Having only had a pair of Hodgmans that I bought at Rite aid for 35 bucks before that, I was in high cotton. They started leaking a year later and I just assumed I had been through some rough terrain (which I had) and that was part of the game. For five years, I lived with soaking wet feet and legs. Oh and they fit me like a clown suit. They were huge.

I sent them into Simms to perhaps be repaired. The Tech called me and said they were toast but they would give me a $150 credit. I paid that for them five years ago. The waders had defective seams from the factory. He asked me how tall I was and I said, "5'7" and he said I had been wearing waders that were built for someone who was 6'5" and had size 13 feet. He told me for an additional $100, I could get into a pair of Headwaters waders which were Gortex and would be for my size. I told him I would get back to him as money was tight with taxes due on houses and stuff.

Yesterday, a brand new pair of Simms Headwaters waders showed up and yes, they fit my frame without bunching up two feet of water and tying it off with my wading belt to be able to walk. The booties fit my feet....wow. Of course, it's too warm to wear them now but I am really pleased to have them.

I will buy from Simms again. They have a no BS warranty that they honor 100%. I'm looking at which Simms wading boot I will be ordering to finally have a wading package that doesn't make look the Grapes of Wrath.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Dry Fly Rie » April 3rd, 2013, 9:26 pm

I bought a pair of Frogg Toggs for like $89 at Sports Authority in the Summer of 2009. They've been great, and I'm tough on them and don't really clean them or do anything special after I wear them. Basically, I let them dry in the backyard, and then toss them on top of my float tube until next time. I've had no issues, and they have two chest pockets for gear, as well as a fleece lined hand pocket. I would definitely buy another pair.
Dry Fly Rie

Postby clee » April 3rd, 2013, 9:36 pm

It's not even a debate.

Simms.

USA made.

High quality.

All my Simms are over a decade old some even near 15 years. Never had a major leak. Only leaks were cold spots but never been a problem. I don't even feel the need to patch them. All have been trashed bushwacking through some nasty stuff. Some are used for jump shooting ducks in some nasty stuff. Its all good.

Don't even consider that import nonsense. Buy once and forget about it.
clee

Postby fly addict » April 3rd, 2013, 9:44 pm

After what Simms did for Jim. Well if that isn't reason enought to purchase the Simms, I guess you should stick with the low budget waders. ;)
Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Papasequoia » April 3rd, 2013, 10:25 pm

Simms
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby WanderingBlues » April 4th, 2013, 5:05 am

Simms. The fit is so much more dialed in with all the options.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby planettrout » April 4th, 2013, 6:15 am

The ones these guys are wearing...

...made in Bozeman, MT... ;)

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout