REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Patagonia Sling Pack

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Re: Patagonia Sling Pack

Postby fly addict » April 23rd, 2013, 11:17 am

I ordered one today at Fishwest. I look forward to lighting the load on my forays into the local waters.
Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby fflutterffly » April 23rd, 2013, 4:59 pm

Karen has the stealth and I have the Guide, Yeapers I have to carry some of her stuff as well. I love these packs especial: The Hemostat pocket, water bottle sock, waterproof pocket and that tiny little pocket in the shoulder strap. Good Stuff!!!!!! Mark you will love this pack.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby briansII » April 30th, 2013, 2:53 pm

My Atom Stealth Pack showed up last week, and I used it twice already. I really like the separate compartment, and little pockets. This help keep stuff organized, over the non fishing version pack I was using. The fit on the Atom Stealth is not as good as the Atom Sling. First time I used it, I found the pack wanted to slip off my shoulder. I adjusted it, and it got better. There is something about the strap positions, and possibly the buckle locations, that make it fit differently than my old pack. Also, the shoulder strap is wider, and a little stiffer. This morning I took sometime to adjust it, and looked in the mirror at how it hung on my body. With a lot more adjusting, I think I have it where it's comfortable, and not falling off my shoulder. Not as comfy as the Atom Sling, but I can find stuff in the pack without digging through a mess.

briansII
briansII

Postby Pete » May 2nd, 2013, 4:25 am

How would a sling pack work out if you wear a lanyard? I got hooked on my lanyard from Copperdropper and won't give it up. Things are just too handy. But I really like the thought of a sling pack for surf and small stream trips. Usually I only take a couple of fly boxes on the water. If I was more than a few hundred yards from the truck I might carry more.

Pete
Pete

Postby briansII » May 2nd, 2013, 9:25 am

Pete wrote:How would a sling pack work out if you wear a lanyard? I got hooked on my lanyard from Copperdropper and won't give it up. Things are just too handy. But I really like the thought of a sling pack for surf and small stream trips. Usually I only take a couple of fly boxes on the water. If I was more than a few hundred yards from the truck I might carry more.

Pete

I'm not sure how the lanyard will feel/lay over the shoulder strap. Should be fine, but I honestly don't know. On the hotter days to come, it will be nice to have a secure place to carry a water bottle......and of course, carry more stuff than you really need. ;)

I used the pack yesterday afternoon. After the adjustments I made it fits and feels much better. It fits tighter than my old pack, but it's still comfortable.

briansII
briansII

Postby fly addict » May 2nd, 2013, 11:49 am

I’ll be trying out mine this weekend, I look forward to a more simple approach to less is better. When I first started fly fishing last century I carried a film canister of flies, an extra leader, (I didn’t know to use tippet yet) floatant and nippers. If I recall the fish didn’t care and were usually willing to play.

Mark
fly addict

Postby jbarrett » October 2nd, 2013, 12:24 pm

After trying just about every fly fishing pack there is I decided to give the Patagonia Stealth Atom sling pack a try. After one full week in Yellowstone with Rain, sleet and Snow I've decided this thing is just about perfect for me. More comfortable than a vest, much better than a Lumbar pack because its not sliding down all the time and a bit higher for wading. I've tried chest packs and hate them because I cant see anything in front of me and my line hand always seems to bouch off the pack or get inthe way. Plus the chest packs hurt me neck. Over the years I kept going back to fishing vests but those days are over now for me - Sling pack is the way to go!

My net hangs on the d - ring with a magnetic catch nicely, easy to access. When moved to the chest everything is right there for easy access.

I was cautious at first about the strap going over my right shoulder however it quickly became evident this was not an issue - countless hours of casting and I never felt the pack or had interference from it. The Atom Stealth got it right in my opinion and the only thing I would change is a bit more capacity, maybe the standard size and one larger one like the Orvis Guide pack - Although I had plenty of room for 2 large, a mid size and small fly box, floatant, tippett spools, slit shot, indicators a couple snack bars and so on and never felt slighted it would be nice to have a bit more room for those trips when I want to carry the kitchen sink with.

The pack is very well made and water resistant ( tested in over 5 days of rain, sleet and snow) the only area that got wet was the shoulder strap pouch thats in place for sun glasses or something small.

This thing is great and my only regret is I didnt try it sooner. I like the color, fit and design. Would buy another one in a heartbeat.
jbarrett

Postby fshflys » June 4th, 2014, 6:54 am

I'm in the market for a new pack. My question with the sling, what happens if you attach a net, does that come flying around with the rest of the pack. I've also been looking at Umpqua Ledges series waist pack, they have a shoulder strap that you can attach a net to & still swing the pack around your waist. Anybody try the Umpqua bags?
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby fly addict » June 4th, 2014, 8:07 am

Anybody want to buy a Patagonia Atom Sling Pack, I have one for sale. Used once, I prefer a vest. $65 OBO.
Mark
fly addict

Postby briansII » June 4th, 2014, 9:01 am

fshflys wrote:I'm in the market for a new pack. My question with the sling, what happens if you attach a net, does that come flying around with the rest of the pack. I've also been looking at Umpqua Ledges series waist pack, they have a shoulder strap that you can attach a net to & still swing the pack around your waist. Anybody try the Umpqua bags?

I don't use a net, so I wasn't sure how you would attach it. Quick google I found a picture.

So yes, the net will come around to the front with the rest of the pack. It also looks like it will hang low, off to your side. Personally, I would not like that.

Have been using sling packs for a while now. They work well for me, but are not ideal. Main drawback is, anytime I want something, I have to unbuckle and swing it to the front. Organization inside the pack is not great either. Overall, I'm satisfied.

I don't use a vest anymore, because most of the time I'm fishing with a spey/switch rod. When I do use a single hand rod, it's too much hassle switching everything to my vest.

briansII
briansII

Postby k9mark » June 4th, 2014, 10:40 am

I was checking out the new Simms Slingpack the other day...mentioned it would be a nice Father's Day gift.....see if that happens... ;)
"...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have Heroes..." .....Best partner I ever had ------------->
k9mark

Postby briansII » June 4th, 2014, 1:29 pm

k9mark wrote:I was checking out the new Simms Slingpack the other day...mentioned it would be a nice Father's Day gift.....see if that happens... ;)

I tried on the new Simms, and waterproof Patagonia last weekend. Both fit really well, and better than my Orvis Guide sling. As much as I'd like one of them, I don't need 4 sling packs. :sad:

Going to update my review of the Orvis sling.

briansII
briansII

Postby jbarrett » July 1st, 2014, 11:41 am

Your net does come around to the front with the pack when slid around for access. It was a little odd at first but now I dont even notice it. Since my review last year I've decided the Stealth Atom is a great pack but I need more room. So I went with the Orvis guide sling. For me the "O" sling is more comfortable to wear and hauls twice the gear. Nothings perfect though and I miss some of the Stealth atom features like the zip down bench area and it felt like a better made bag. I also tried the Simms sling ( large) for a couple weeks - it was a nice pack but rode right on my rib no matter how it was adjusted and didnt feel as comfortable loaded up with gear so I sold it. So far the Orvis guide pack has proven to be a good mix of comfort, size and functionality...Not a fan of Orvis or the looks of the thing but it works great.
jbarrett

Previous

Return to Gear Review