REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

New to FFA

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

New to FFA

Postby FIGHTONSC » May 18th, 2013, 6:30 am

Hello all,

Glad I found another source of fly fishing knowledge, reporting, and entertainment.

I am not new to the sport, and was actually introduced to fly fishing at 5 years old when my parents lived in Missoula, Mt. It, along with hunting, have been my passions for almost 55 years.

I have fly fished many parts of the US, along with New Zealand, Australia, Mexico, and Fiji. I was also very fortunate to have fished and hunted Arcularius Ranch for 25 years until it was sold. My father was also an avid fly fisherman so we also spent many vacations at Hot Creek Ranch during the Lee and Rosetta years.

I mainly fish the Kern and it's upper tributaries now, but still love throwing a wooly bugger in the upper Owens.

Look forward to interacting with your forum members!

FIGHTONSC

Jeff Russell
FIGHTONSC

Re: New to FFA

Postby RichardCullip » May 18th, 2013, 6:59 am

Welcome aboard and thanks for the intro. You will fit in well around here.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Wildman » May 18th, 2013, 7:06 am

Jeff-
Welcome to the Addicts site. How lucky you were to have had access to the Arcularius ranch back in the day. I kept thinking I would rent one of the cabins and fish it but put it off until it was too late.

Looking forward to hearing of your travels and fishing.

Jim
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby midger » May 18th, 2013, 7:41 am

Welcome! I also used to fish Arcularius way back when. I've had some remarkable days on the stretch through the ranch and wish it were still available without the guide.

Hope to see some of your trip reports in the future.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby FIGHTONSC » May 18th, 2013, 8:31 am

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the welcome!

Richard, you have been very informative this last year with your San Diego Bay reports.

Wildman, you also have been a read for several years now on KRFF. Arcularius Ranch was where fly fishing dreams were made!

Midger, I would always go to the A Ranch 4 days before the opener and John A and myself would fix fence, hang signs, and plow the snow off the roads. This afforded me the opportunity to scout out where all of the spawners were stacked up...Oh, the memories.

Regards,

JR
FIGHTONSC

Postby darrin terry » May 18th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Welcome Jeff! I hope you enjoy the place and I am also looking forward to your reports and other additions to our group.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby WanderingBlues » May 24th, 2013, 8:50 am

Jeff, welcome to the forum. Despite your wayward college allegiance, you'll be more than welcomed here on FFA. Look forward to seeing you on the water someday.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby FIGHTONSC » May 25th, 2013, 7:21 am

Darrin--your address is listed as SJV...is that San Jacinto Valley? I'm curious because that's where I hunt ducks.

Wanderingblues--I was born into a USC family. My father played ball there and also met my mom there. My dad's brother (uncle Jack) ran track for USC also. I did not have much choice for differing team loyalties when growing up.

I'm wondering if your moniker "Wanderingblues" is a byproduct of watching the baby blue of UCLA get hammered 80 percent of the time over the last decade?!?

Thanks guys for the welcome. Will be hitting the river (Kern) shortly after I get another cup of coffee into me.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Regards,

JR
FIGHTONSC

Postby WanderingBlues » May 25th, 2013, 8:58 am

FIGHTONSC wrote:
Wanderingblues--I was born into a USC family. My father played ball there and also met my mom there. My dad's brother (uncle Jack) ran track for USC also. I did not have much choice for differing team loyalties when growing up.

I'm wondering if your moniker "Wanderingblues" is a byproduct of watching the baby blue of UCLA get hammered 80 percent of the time over the last decade?!?

Regards,

JR

Oh, * no! I'm a die hard, born and (in)bred Alabama fan. I've got family photos of me eating BBQ with Bear Bryant, playing catch with Joe Namath..... Still harbor resentment over those split National Championshp titles with SC back in the 70's... But, that all disappears on the water! Look forward to your reports.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

New to FFA

Postby Bernardito » May 25th, 2013, 12:17 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:
FIGHTONSC wrote:

Regards,

JR

Oh, * no! I'm a die hard, born and (in)bred Alabama fan. I've got family photos of me eating BBQ with Bear Bryant, playing catch with Joe Namath..... Still harbor resentment over those split National Championshp titles with SC back in the 70's... But, that all disappears on the water! Look forward to your reports.

Well, speaking as a Notre Dame fan, you guys are lucky to have teams that have won a national championship in the last 25 years!
Bernardito

Return to Welcome to FFA!