REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

It seems to take several forums to get the story

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Postby Ants » May 23rd, 2013, 9:20 am

Howdy Y'all,

I bought a place in Bodfish over a decade ago and didn't start fly fishing until 5 or 6 years ago. It seems like I better learn fast or I will run out of time. The Southern Sierra Fly Fishers have been very helpful to inch me up the learning curve. One of my better learning decisions was to accept the job as librarian. Books are my friend and currently fly fishing books are a dear friend. From a learning viewpoint, I find the comprehensive learning approach grand, and I can go back and read again for a second analysis.

Since most folks on the forum have more experience in fly fishing than I do, I probably can't offer much fishing wise. However, based on my spent here, maybe I can offer some anecdotes on the Kern Kewel and Kwirky Kulture that prevent (as they say in old western lore) hanging or shooting offenses. Earlier this spring, I was fishing with a friend and it was getting near lunch. I suggested Sierra Gateway Market as a place to get a good and quick sandwich. That was the case! However, going into the store with wet and dirty waders was nearly a hanging offense. My reputation for suggestions is tarnished, but my buddy got out of there with his neck intact and with sandwich in hand.

A more recent personal anecdote occurred near that large industrial building next to the river where there are always a lot of fisherman. There's great big metal cage that always seems to have some standing on it, if not drinking as well. Caution! Another hanging offense if the gunslinging folks from the hatchery happen to see you. I checked and have never seen any signs not to stand on or near it. The structure is the critical intake for water for the fish hatchery and don't you forget it.

Well, in retrospect the two incidents may not seem like much, but if they can save your neck, well I am glad to do my part.

See you on the water, swinging a streamer.

Ants
Ants

Re: It seems to take several forums to get the story

Postby DrCreek » May 23rd, 2013, 10:29 am

Well... here's how I see it.

No matter what, you'll never be able to do everything in the way or manner others think you should. After reading your story, the one thing that made me scratch my head is the "cage" that fishermen (spin/bait fishermen?) stand on. I assume its the spinning brigade that does this because I can't imagine a flyfisherman standing above any body of water on a metal cage. That would be like a flyfisherman slinging flies from atop the big rock that sits in the middle of Bishop Creek, just below the outlet. You've seen it, I'm sure. The banks there are most always lined elbow-to-elbow with bait fisherman and lawn chairs, and there's always at least one dude on that rock hurling shark-sized lures downstream into the stocker pods. Funny to watch.

So you went into the market and they got sideways because you were wearing waders? That's surprising. Most places (which are tourist-dependent and thrive on the summer fishing $$) encourage fishermen to enter their establishments even if they're clad for war. Its commonplace to see fishermen in Montana and Colorado come in businesses - especially fly shops - fresh off the water. Must be a "stop getting dirt on my nice clean floor" issue.

It is what it is, I guess............ wow, 17 reads and only my reply so far?
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby briansII » May 23rd, 2013, 12:39 pm

Thanks for the heads up Ants.

I understand the no waders issue, because some folks like me have metal studs in their boots. That, and linoleum doesn't mix well. That's beside the mud stuck to the bottom of damp boots.

I was told about a cool store up in Riverkern. The Riverkern General Store. Great food, and very nice folks. Not sure how they feel about wading boots, but I personally would not go in with wading boots on anyway.

briansII
briansII

Postby RiverRat » May 23rd, 2013, 12:48 pm

Hey homie ;)
Been chased off the river by any Bodfish homeowners yet? They ambushed me. You should've seen their faces after telling them I knew about the fishing access easement, priceless :bananadance:

Riverkern store has great breakfast and the best burgers in the KRV

shane
RiverRat

Postby RichardCullip » May 23rd, 2013, 3:34 pm

briansII wrote:Thanks for the heads up Ants.

I understand the no waders issue, because some folks like me have metal studs in their boots. That, and linoleum doesn't mix well. That's beside the mud stuck to the bottom of damp boots.

I was told about a cool store up in Riverkern. The Riverkern General Store. Great food, and very nice folks. Not sure how they feel about wading boots, but I personally would not go in with wading boots on anyway.

briansII

I've been in the Riverkern General Store multiple times with waders and boots on. I always order the Bacon Cheeseburger w/fries. It's the best I've every had - not only in the Kern River Valley but anywhere.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby midger » May 23rd, 2013, 7:36 pm

First off, where's Bodfish? :mrgreen:

You'll find that some folks welcome flyfishers with open arms and others slam the door. I've learned to support businesses that want my money and that show they appreciate my business. Those that act like they're doing me a favor to take my money won't see me again.

As for wading boots with studs, I even draw the line on those if using the drifter--they're 'ell on the rubber floor. ;)

Can't comment on the cage incident, but I have seen combat fishing on rivers like the American in Sacramento, the San Juan in New Mexico, the Kenai in Alaska. I've found the solution--just find somewhere else to fish. Works every time. ;)
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Ants » May 24th, 2013, 6:22 am

Where is Bodfish? It is one of the small unincorporated towns in the Kern River Valley. If you are driving up the canyon from Bakersfield, it is the first town you go through.

If three letters in the town where changed, the name could be FlyFish - the only town with that name in the US.

Since the neighborhood fly fishing options are very large. Normally, I can go out for day or a couple of hours and never see another person. Quiet, peaceful fishing spoils me since it tends to be the norm.

Ants
Ants

Postby WanderingBlues » May 24th, 2013, 8:54 am

Welcome to the site, Ants.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby WadeK » May 24th, 2013, 11:24 am

I wondered what the cage was for. I've drifted by there a few times and almost always see someone perched on it.
As for the waders, I get burgers at Riverkern or McNallys. When at RK I poke my head in the door and tell them "I don't want to track mud into your store so could someone take my order on the patio?" They seem happy to come out. At McNally's you order at a window, so I don't sweat the waders.

Tight lines,
Wade
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby charlie » June 1st, 2013, 12:42 pm

Some of the stores on the GL tribs just about won't let you in without waders. If you ain't Gore clad you're probably a broke local tweaker and looking for a 5 finger discount. I keep hearing about those cheeseburgers. Either Richard or Ants has to guide me there. I can spot fishy places, world class cheeseburgers are of a higher magnitude..... :)
charlie

Postby fly addict » June 1st, 2013, 2:39 pm

charlie wrote:Some of the stores on the GL tribs just about won't let you in without waders. If you ain't Gore clad you're probably a broke local tweaker and looking for a 5 finger discount. I keep hearing about those cheeseburgers. Either Richard or Ants has to guide me there. I can spot fishy places, world class cheeseburgers are of a higher magnitude..... :)

Charlie,
Once your heading up river just follow your nose, it won't miss-led you!
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Sasha » June 1st, 2013, 3:17 pm

Still trying to figure out what the * the thread title has to do with the post :oo:
Sasha

Postby Ants » June 1st, 2013, 7:59 pm

As for the title of the posts, if forum posts are deleted, then it may take several forums to get all the information. I think from the comments on this forum, you can easily figure out which forum gives an edited picture.

It was a state of mind when I initiated this post.
Ants

Postby silverlaker » June 1st, 2013, 8:52 pm

Welcome Ants. I've been In both those stores with waiders and boots without problems (no studs). Somehow the floorboard of my truck seems to attract most of the dirt. I also smile a lot and tease the employees. Maybe they're cursing me under their breath?! Love the breakfast sandwiches and sausages at James's gateway.
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Return to Welcome to FFA!