REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

hey everybody

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

hey everybody

Postby Vince » June 3rd, 2013, 8:50 am

New on the forum my sn is my first name, obviously. Recently I have moved from.my spinning tackle to mostly on my fly rod now and am enjoying the challenge. I had a Cortland 6/7 9' until it met my fan so I'm in between rods right now. I live in north Florida in Gainesville and and fish out of my 13' gheenoe lowside and also frequent the custom gheenoe forum with the same sn looking forward to following some good threads.
Vince

Re: hey everybody

Postby Wildman » June 3rd, 2013, 10:37 am

Welcome to the Forum. There will come a time, perhaps, when you ditch the spinning rod altogether but for now...time to be shopping for a new fly rod.

I also really like the boats....reasonable in cost and look to be very versatile.

Welcome Aboard!
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Vince » June 3rd, 2013, 3:25 pm

im looking at a redington pursuit 9'6" in 8 wt hoping to be able to add a few feet on my cast with a little length and also im really short so i cant be as lackadaisical on my back cast or i catch the grass or pop the water so im hoping it might give me a little more room and distance to get out their and reach some far off red fish. what do you think? open to opinions let me preface this by saying I'm a full time UF student with a wife and kid soooo... looking for definitley under 200, 100 area is better. also ill add i fish for mostly reds trout black drum all typical saltwater inshore game fish so all of those and i also bass fish local lakes and rivers.
Vince

Postby beachbum » June 5th, 2013, 4:10 am

Welcome to the board, Vince! Remember to post lots of fish pictures :)
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby briansII » June 5th, 2013, 9:13 am

Welcome. Look forward to reading trip report s from your part of the country. Those Greenhoe boats look like great fishing platforms.

Just my option, but if I was looking for more distance on my cast, I'd be looking at a heavier rod(like you mentioned), and a particular line to increase distance. I personally would choose a 9' rod.......especially if fishing from a boat. IMHO a longer rod doesn't always mean longer cast. Sometimes it can be the opposite, and there's drawbacks to the extra length.

BriansII
briansII

Postby WanderingBlues » June 5th, 2013, 10:27 am

Welcome Vince! Looking forward to some of the gnarley flats reports from your locale.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Return to Welcome to FFA!