REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

20 lakes basin loop

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

20 lakes basin loop

Postby jaredely77 » June 10th, 2013, 1:07 pm

Hey Guys, hoping somebody knows the right flies and good waters to fish above saddlebag lake around the 20 lake basin loop. My dad and i are going to hike in and camp for 2 nights for fathers day weekend, so we should have plenty of time to fish the lakes in the area. I am going to try my hand fly fishing for my first Golden Trout. Since i have only fished from a tube I am also hoping for some tips on whether floating line or sinking line is better and how i should be stripping my line in..(rookie please bare with me)
jaredely77

Re: REPORT

Postby jaredely77 » June 18th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Awesome trip through the loop. We arrived at saddlebag lake a little after 10pm friday night set up camp(tested new gear). Woke up bright and early headed down to Lee Vining for our Wilderness permit and hit the trail around 11. Not knowing what to expect, I took some tips from one of the local fly fishing guides, also a fly tier for the area, I dont know whether he was trying to hustle his flies or just giving friendly advice probably a little of both either way I picked up a couple Female Adams #16, Adams # 14 and Elk Hair Caddis #10 and headed out.

After about an hour of hiking, no fishing and a not so happy girlfriend we headed due west from Odell lake up to a ridge where twin lakes sits. The guide had told me that is where the golden trout were. We set up camp and I started to fine tune my casting, well more like trying to figure out what I was doing. The first hundred casts or so I was tapping the water as I was trying to lay line out, The fish were not impressed. I let the lake cool down and the fish settle before i tried again. This round I took my time and kept the fly line off the water. As soon as the fly hit the water a beautiful Golden hit it, FINALY not only did I catch a fish but it was my first Golden. :bananadance: It was on. I caught one more golden at Twin before we left the ridge and headed to the next lake.

We humped our packs down a 300 yard snow bank to Hellen lake, again the girlfriend was not happy but it was fathers day and being a skier dad was like a little kid in a candy shop. We started fishing the Inlet and Dad started catching fish. He caught 3 Brookies all 5-7". I caught one in the head waters just before the inlet on a Caddis #1. I let the current carry it and hopped it back every foot or so a beautiful Brookie came out of the water about 10" for it probably the best catch of the trip. Dad caught 12 Brookies for the day averaging 3 per lake, I ended up with 8, the lady caught 2...I let him smoke me after all it was fathers day.

We set up camp by the creek feeding Greenstone lake, reminded me of Montana and Wyoming beautiful country. We ended the trip fishing the creek and the west bank of the lake, Dad 3, 2 for the Lady, and 5 for me all Brookies. I finally got my casting down and learned some patterns after watching the bugs jump across the water as the fish fed I felt more confident about leaving my spining rod behind more often. I was a great trip with great company can't wait to do it again.

Pictures to come............... :bananadance:
jaredely77

Re: 20 lakes basin loop

Postby Papasequoia » June 18th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Sorry I didn't see this to give some fly advice - next time post this kind of thing in either general fly fishing or fly fishing the Sierra Nevada Creeks and Streams (or something like that) and it will get more views and replies.

Anyway, looking forward to the pics. The guy who sold you the flies gave you good advice, although I would have added a few more, including some nymphs and small streamers, but glad to hear you did well with what you had.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby DrCreek » June 18th, 2013, 6:20 pm

Since the area is well known and sees a lot of human traffic, I have no issue divulging this info here...

The BEST (easiest) place to bag your golden is... Greenstone Creek just below the waterfall. Often, goldens will go over the edge and wind up in the stream. This will save you the short, steep hike up to Conness Lakes. If you DON'T bag yourself a golden in the stream, the lake will be your best bet.

Once at the top of the climb, you'll see that Conness Lake outlet stream runs through slabs of granite. There are TONS of goldens in the stream, but they are VERY shy. If they see you, they're gone. In that event, walk around the LEFT side of Conness to the inlet stream. If you've approached with stealth, you should see several goldens in the feeding lane. A simple floating line coupled with a 10' 6x or 7x tippet and a floating fly should get you into trout. Goldens, much like brookies, aren't too picky about what they're chasing. Any winged upright or parachute-type floating fly or greased nymph size 16-20 will get molested. If you just HAVE TO fish the lake, just do what most others would do... walk the shoreline and launch your fly out (more or less parallel) near the "shelves" or "drop-offs" that lie just offshore - or shoot for rises as you see them. Intermittent, small fly twitches will attract trout. No need to "strip" line unless you're intent on using a large bead head wooly bugger that's sinking fast.

Other than that, enjoy the hike around the basin - if you choose to do it. Just allow yourself plenty of time. Get up early and buy your seats on the earliest water taxi across, and the last taxi back. That way you won't be running from lake to lake like you're in a 10K. Nothing worse than having to be bogged down by a clock when you're on vaca.

Once you're at the Saddlebag Café, ask around for John Barbier. He might be there, he might not. John and I used to flyfish alot together. He's a decent guy. He might not divulge any secrets - but when it comes to the Hall Natural Area and all her waters, he is BY FAR the most knowledgeable person I know. Enjoy !!!
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby DrCreek » June 18th, 2013, 6:27 pm

Oh crap... I see now that I'm a little late chiming in on this one........ sorry.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby flybob » June 18th, 2013, 8:01 pm

DrCreek wrote:Oh crap... I see now that I'm a little late chiming in on this one........ sorry.

Dang NEWBIES! :roll:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby jaredely77 » June 19th, 2013, 11:09 am

My bad, new to the forum still trying to navigate. after i posted it i realized it probably wasnt the best place. I will definitely categorize my post next time for the best views and replies..Thanks
jaredely77

Postby stanbery » June 19th, 2013, 11:33 pm

jaredely77 wrote:My bad, new to the forum still trying to navigate. after i posted it i realized it probably wasnt the best place. I will definitely categorize my post next time for the best views and replies..Thanks

Jaredely

Bob was not pointing the finger at you he was pointing at DrCreek calling him a newbee.

Post were you like and if need to be the admin team will move it.
Very nice report as well.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Return to Welcome to FFA!