REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Finally getting around to posting

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Finally getting around to posting

Postby ebprulestheworld » August 29th, 2013, 4:26 pm

I totally forgot I signed up for this board a long time ago, but never got around to posting. Anyway, it's too smokey here (Reno) to do much of anything outside without feeling like hot garbage, so what the heck.

I picked up my first fly rod (a janky little 4/5 wt eagle claw that I still keep around for some reason) about 10 years ago and then promptly got distracted by youthful recklessness, booze, and girls (redundant, I know). About four years ago I started getting back into it thanks to an enthusiastic and talented friend. Now I routinely cut out of work early if the boss man isn't around to try and trick finicky Truckee River trout into eating the ugly flies I tie. Which, to my surprise, is starting to happen with more and more frequency. When I'm not fishing or tying (or reading about fishing or tying) I'm usually watching Baseball and Hockey, or chasing chukar around the mountains of Nevada.

I generally prefer to fish alone, but sometimes I'll bring this little lady along so I can blame her for spooking all the fish. Image

Sometimes I get lucky

Sometimes the deer don't

Sometimes I make friends

Sometimes the Stoneflies do too

And Every once in a while I go fishing in places you might not expect to find fish.

Got a little carried away, but I'm bored as sin and I think this smoke from the Rim Fire is starting to cut off the oxygen to my brain. Other than a handful of friends I have who fish, I generally avoid the fly fishing community at large like the plague, but I'm here to make an effort to stop being such a curmudgeon, because at 28 I am entirely too young for that noise. So with that, I look forward to spinning some yarn with you all. (good thing I previewed this. I might sound like an old-timey Midwesterner now, but I guess that's better than half of my sentences having "<oops>" and "*" in the middle of them. I'll have to try to remember to use my church mouth from now on)

-Zack
ebprulestheworld

Re: Finally getting around to posting

Postby gabe » August 29th, 2013, 4:49 pm

welcome Zack. Thats some nice pictures you got there. Jealous that of you being up there on the Truckee. sure is some nice surrounding waters up there.
gabe

Postby Wildman » August 29th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Welcome to the forum! Nice fish and photography. Glad to have you posting.
Jim
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby flybob » August 29th, 2013, 8:34 pm

Hey Zack, welcome to the fray!

Nice first post....looking forward to seeing more from that side of the line!

I wish I would have discovered fly fishing at 28!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Bernard » August 29th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Love the mystery terrain shots.
Great fish too. So with smoke wafting into your area, has it been determined a health threat?
Curious ...
B.
Bernard

Postby midger » August 29th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Welcome! Nice looking pup and great pictures.

Not all flyfishers are curmudgeons--just most of us. ;) Hope to see you around the forum at other times than just during fires.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Papasequoia » August 30th, 2013, 12:29 am

ebprulesthe world? That's a new one. Welcome, nice shots, hope you get bored more often!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby DrCreek » August 30th, 2013, 6:49 am

You fit right in. Welcome. As much as I enjoy fishing with the small handful of friends I have here, going solo once in a while is a GREAT thing. Fine post.
Creek
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby ebprulestheworld » August 30th, 2013, 8:09 am

Thanks guys!

Bernard, the smoke is definitely a health threat. It's usually not as bad in the mornings, but get's worse as the day goes on. They actually canceled all high school sports for this weekend, and at times the air quality has been comparable to Beijing, or so they say. All in all, it sucks.
ebprulestheworld

Postby WanderingBlues » August 30th, 2013, 9:59 am

So, I'm voting Zack as the Reno area FFA social chairman... Great post. Look forward to many more.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Sasha » August 30th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Welcome to the madhouse.
Sasha

Return to Welcome to FFA!