REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Hello Everyone

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Hello Everyone

Postby Chilehead » August 23rd, 2013, 11:10 am

Hi,
I just joined this forum. I have a question that I hope I can get a good answer for

I usually fly fish rivers and streams, but I just received a float tube for my birthday, and since I live near Castaic Lake, I thought I should try it out there. Does anyone have any advice as to gear, tactics, and flies?
Thanks in advance
Chilehead

Re: Hello Everyone

Postby WanderingBlues » August 23rd, 2013, 2:06 pm

Welcome aboard! I've never personally fished Castaic, but there's some warm water guys on the board that'll be good resources. Good luck and look forward to your reports.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby tyingfool » September 14th, 2013, 8:58 am

Hay Chilehead, Not sure about Castaic fishing ,but get yourself a sinking line and some streamers and face the shore and cast as close to the shore and strip strip strip.Alter you retrieve rates and colors .The trout are deep this time of year so you will be hitting the bass and pan fish .Fish the points .

David
Aspire to inspire before you expire.
tyingfool

Postby Ants » September 16th, 2013, 4:40 pm

I never fished Castaic, but I stopped and talked with the folks at the launch ramp for the main part of the lake. Castaic is Big Water and can get very windy. The windy conditions could be a problem in a float tube. All watercraft are subject to mussel inspection and would include your tube since the inspections include kayaks. At opening time, there is a substantial line for inspections.

Close to home may not be the best alternative, especially for the first few times out.

There is a smaller forebay (below dam), but I am sure there are access restrictions also. The wind would be a much lesser concern.
Ants

Postby WadeK » December 27th, 2013, 10:31 am

The Forebay is where you'll want to go. Mussel inspections are in full effect and access fees are steep, but the fishing can be good with a chance at some MONSTEROUS Bass. The World record fly caught Largemouth Bass came from there a few years back. There are also Large Bluegill, Red Ear, Crappie, Catfish and a few Stripers come down from the main lake. Trout are stocked there regularly during the colder months. The forage base is broad with Threadfin HINT and Gizzard Shad, Pondsmelt, Emerald and Spotted(?) Shiners, stocked Trout Hint, Tullibee, Hitch, Split-tail, Mosquito fish, 3 kinds of Crawfish(LA Red & Blacks Hint, Rustys, and little Olive ones with powder Blue spots on their legs HINT!!), Scuds,.... (Side note: Please don't transplant the Crawfish. Invasive Rusty's have devasted many CA streams. They love fish eggs and will take down fish there own size.)
I haven't fished there much because it's not really close and I don't like the access fees. It can be a tough nut to crack but a 6#+ bass on my 4th trip says it's not impossible. There is a wide variety of structure to fish packed into this small body of water and pretty much any technique will work here at some time, but not at others. That can be the downfall of many.

Tight lines,
Wade
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Return to Welcome to FFA!