REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

New to Bishop

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

New to Bishop

Postby BishopCaFisher » October 13th, 2013, 12:44 pm

Hey guys. I just recently moved to Bishop from San Diego and could not be happier. I am a native Texan who moved to CA in 2007. I love the outdoors- fishing, hiking, backpacking, diving, surfing, snowboarding, hunting. I do it all. Since Bishop is one of the prime locations for fly fishing, I have decided to get back into it. My first experience fly fishing was in Estes Park, CO. I was 14 years old and took a guided trip up to a beautiful backcountry lake and caught greenback cutthroat trout. I was instantly hooked. For the next few years my dad and I drove to Missouri and Arkansas every year to fly fish the many "trout parks" of the Ozarks. When I moved the CA coast I learned how to spearfish and lobster dive. I haven't fly fished in many years, but here I am in one of the top trout fishing locations in the west. I looked forward to learning how to fly fish the Eastern Sierras.
BishopCaFisher

Re: New to Bishop

Postby RichardCullip » October 13th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Welcome aboard. What a great place to move to if you are a fly fisher. While you are up there, check out the Sierra Trout Magnet Flyshop. They will help get you jump started. http://sierratroutmagnet.com/
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby midger » October 13th, 2013, 2:12 pm

First off, welcome to this forum with all its rowdies.

You've moved to a nice area for fly fishing and the skiing/snowboarding ain't half bad up at Mammoth either. It should be easy to arrange to fish with a lot of different forum members if you want as many of us fish the Bishop area a lot--especially during the winter months when other areas are more limited. You'll find there is a lot of available fishing in the surrounding area of your new "home" and you've got a very good local stream almost in your backyard.

The relearning curve shouldn't be too bad for you. Enjoy the voyage.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby silverlaker » October 14th, 2013, 8:51 am

Boy, you sure picked a great spot for all kinds of outdoor activities. Welcome aboard and here's to many hours of getting "reacquainted" with fly fishing again.

Tom
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby stanbery » October 14th, 2013, 11:23 pm

Welcome aboard.
Check out this link: http://www.flyfishingaddicts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9993
A bunch of use will be up that way on Oct 25 to 27 weekend so stop by and say hi.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby BishopCaFisher » October 15th, 2013, 5:19 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I stopped by Sierra Trout Magnet and spoke with the owner David. He was very helpful and picked out some flys to get me started. I hiked up to Tyee lakes in the snow last weekend to fish and had no luck, but at least I got some practice casting. David told me that the upper Owens would probably be my best bet- wide open area for casting and lots of beautiful wild trout. I would love to learn how to fish with the nymph.

I look forward to getting to know some fellow fly fishers and sharing some good memories out here.
BishopCaFisher

Postby DrCreek » October 15th, 2013, 7:16 pm

Wow !! You must be a physician. There are so few jobs available up there right now. Good luck with whatever you're doing...and best of luck getting to know your new surroundings. It's stunning year 'round.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby WanderingBlues » October 16th, 2013, 9:37 am

Bishop, welcome to the site. There's a few members that live up in your neck of the woods. BobK is a great stillwater resource. Looking forward to your reports.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby fflutterffly » October 16th, 2013, 1:56 pm

Yeah go find BobK! I'll be up there again next Tuesday and Wednesday.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Return to Welcome to FFA!