REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Great Site!

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Great Site!

Postby BrownBear » February 14th, 2014, 10:58 am

Showing my ignorance, I didn't know this place existed. A member pointed me here yesterday, and I'm glad he did.

My wife and I are Alaska snowbirds, with home in Kodiak and winters in SoCal. I have over 50 years of fly fishing behind me and pushing that long at a fly vise. My wife is a relative newcomer with only 30 years or so of fly fishing.

But to show you how smart she is, she's never, ever- not once- sat down at my fly vise. So between my own needs and curiosity, and the fly consumption of my wife, daughter, son-in-law, granddaughter and friends, I tie a lot of flies!

Hope to get better acquainted with folks. After fishing yesterday with the member who pointed me here, I'm betting he's the tip of an "iceberg" of a lot of great folks. Looking forward to it!
BrownBear

Re: Great Site!

Postby RichardCullip » February 14th, 2014, 11:05 am

Welcome aboard. You should recognize some, if not most, of the folks who hang out around here. It's a great group of folks who love fly fishing and who are passionate about preserving the environments we love to fish.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby planettrout » February 14th, 2014, 11:14 am

Welcome BB !!!

PT/TB ;)
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby briansII » February 14th, 2014, 11:24 am

Welcome!

Since you are already spending a lot of time at the vice, I could use some #20 parachute BWO. ;) ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby BrownBear » February 14th, 2014, 11:40 am

briansII wrote:Welcome!

Since you are already spending a lot of time at the vice, I could use some #20 parachute BWO. ;) ;)

briansII

Whew! At least you weren't asking for #24's!

Speaking of which, I've become an addict of Klinkenhamers. They pick up smart fish that avoid regular ties, even parachutes. Might have something to do with the abdomen below the surface.

If you're going for little Klinks, look at the Daiichi #1160 hooks. Partridge lists a #20 Klinkenhamer hook, but it's about twice the size of a #20 Diaiichi #1160. Dunno where the Big P got their sizing.
BrownBear

Postby darrin terry » February 14th, 2014, 12:15 pm

Welcome! If you like tying, be sure to check out our Today's flies from the bench thread. Many here have shared there, and learned there as well. Be warned though, if you intend to go through the entire thread, it is currently 69 pages long.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby midger » February 14th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Welcome! I see your fishing reports about the Kern on the other forum when I check in there. I think you'll enjoy it here as well and quite a few of the names will probably be familiar to you.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby BrownBear » February 14th, 2014, 12:29 pm

If you like tying, be sure to check out our Today's flies from the bench thread.

Ooooooohhhh....

I've been eyeballing that thread, but afraid to punch the button! Until I have a lot of time on my hands that is! :P

Good steer, and I thank you!
BrownBear

Postby Papasequoia » February 14th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby WanderingBlues » February 15th, 2014, 4:23 pm

BB, welcome to FFA. Seen you on the KRFF and I know you'll fit in just fine!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby BrownBear » February 15th, 2014, 5:16 pm

Thanks everyone. This place sure feels right.

Just returned from a sojourn to Kernville for deep pit barbecue at Whiskey Flats Days.

Well worth the trip, even without any rods in the truck! :bravo;
BrownBear

Postby RiverRat » February 16th, 2014, 8:15 am

BrownBear wrote:Thanks everyone. This place sure feels right.

Just returned from a sojourn to Kernville for deep pit barbecue at Whiskey Flats Days.

Well worth the trip, even without any rods in the truck! :bravo;

Went creek prospecting last week and was bragging to my husky about the BBQ tri tip sandwiches at the Riverkern Store. So I leave the mountain early forgetting the store diner was shut down until this weekend. Major disappointment to me and the dog......

shane
RiverRat

Postby lucfish » February 16th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Welcome Brownbear. Lots of good people on the site. I imagine you have a fish story or two. Looking forward to hearing a couple.
lucfish

Return to Welcome to FFA!