REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Old Addict, new to the Board

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Old Addict, new to the Board

Postby johnjmcmullen » April 4th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Hello!

I may have been registered on FA years ago ... but I don't remember ... because I'm old. :bananadance: I have been a fly fisherman for many years.

I'm currently living in El Portel, on the edge of Yosemite National Park. I've been living here for around 4 years (If my memory serves, and it usually does a fair job). My wife works for Y.N.P.

I've been fly fishing here for as long, and now that spring is sprung ... I'm going to take up Tenkara fly fishing and add that to my resume. I thought I would browse the forum for any tips or fly recommendations for the area and especially for Tenkara style fly fishing.

Cheers!
johnjmcmullen

Re: Old Addict, new to the Board

Postby RichardCullip » April 4th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Welcome aboard.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby johnjmcmullen » April 4th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Thank you Richard!
johnjmcmullen

Postby silverlaker » April 4th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Welcome aboard! There are some tenkara folks around here. Sounds like you live in a great place - I look forward to reading some reports from your local waters.

Tom
Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds. —Charles Dudley Warner
silverlaker

Postby Fishfreak911 » April 4th, 2014, 8:08 pm

Welcome back then! The ol' Merced is a great fishery, and right out your back door. Lucky u. I have also caught a few small bows out of the little creek that runs alongside the Main road in Wawona. That would be a great spot to tenkara. Again, welcome back.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby Wildman » April 4th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Welcome back! The second time around is sweeter they say. I was in your neck of the woods last summer on some fires. Looking forward to hearing of your adventures.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby WanderingBlues » April 5th, 2014, 7:33 am

(Re)Welcome to the board. Beautiful place to live in. Kinda neat to think that people all over the world save for years just to spend a day in your neighborhood.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby johnjmcmullen » April 5th, 2014, 10:19 am

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone. I look forward to sharing some fishing stories. ;)

Yosemite is indeed a beautiful place. Some of my photography is available to view at my website http://www.johnjmcmullen.com/

I should probably create a fly fishing gallery eh?
johnjmcmullen

Postby Benny » April 5th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Welcome to FFA John J. Enjoyed your photographic art. Thanks for sharing.
Benny

Postby johnjmcmullen » April 5th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Thank you Benny!

I added a new gallery to the portfolio under Landscapes, for Merced River. All scenic shots now, but I will post some fishing shots and locations when I can.

Cheers!
johnjmcmullen

Postby Bernard » April 5th, 2014, 6:51 pm

You are well positioned for some great angling - as I am sure you already know!
Bernard

Postby johnjmcmullen » April 5th, 2014, 7:42 pm

I have had good success fly fishing here so far ... but I came here from Carbondale CO, where my wife and I still own a home. Fishing the Roaring Fork, Frying Pan, Crystal and Colorado ... not to mention so many other amazing rivers in CO ... I was very spoiled. Before that we were in the Tetons (living in Moose WY) for 5 years. And before that Flagstaff AZ, and the Grand Canyon. My fly fishing travels go way back.

It takes a lot more work to catch even a decent rainbow or brown here, but I have learned patience over the years. It's worth the scramble (dodging Poison Oak!), and boulder hopping to find good fishing. The scenery can't be beat, and I don't fish where there are people or pullouts. It's exploring and adventure fishing for me.
johnjmcmullen

Postby midger » April 5th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Welcome to the forum and sounds like you have most of it figured out already, but it will be fun seeing some of your Yosemite area exploits. Also sounds you've been to some really great, trouty places, places that size-wise, California will have a tough time matching unless you do start getting off the beaten path.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Sasha » April 6th, 2014, 10:05 am

Welcome
Sasha

Postby Brookflyguy » April 8th, 2014, 10:24 pm

yay, another Nor-Californian! welcome! I've been wanting to get into Tenkara as well since a majority of the water I fish is small creeks and streams in the northern sierras.
Fish. Explore. Conserve. Live.
Brookflyguy

Next

Return to Welcome to FFA!