REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Howdy everyone

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Howdy everyone

Postby ditchparrot19 » April 28th, 2014, 10:52 pm

Just found this site while bouncing around on the Internet and it looked like a good place to be.

I've been around good trout fishing pretty much all my life and began pursuing them with flies in 2000. I'm from the Eastern Sierras (born in Lone Pine, lived in the same house in Independence until I left for college). Attended Chico State and now I live just up the hill from there in Paradise.

I fish all branches and forks of the Feather, Yuba, Sacramento, etc. I love moving water, but would like to start doing some more stillwater stuff in the near future.

I hope to link up with some of you people soon.
ditchparrot19

Re: Howdy everyone

Postby Papasequoia » April 29th, 2014, 12:09 am

Welcome, DitchParrot. I have a brother in Paradise - um, the town that is. :D It's a nice area, close to the Redding and the Sac and other areas. Looking forward to some reports! Jon
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby RichardCullip » April 29th, 2014, 8:09 am

Welcome aboard. I'm looking forward to some reports from up in your area.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby lucfish » April 29th, 2014, 8:42 am

Welcome to the site ditchparrot. Nice group of guys here. I got to ask you though, what's the story about your screen name? Luc
lucfish

Postby ditchparrot19 » April 29th, 2014, 8:48 am

lucfish wrote:I got to ask you though, what's the story about your screen name? Luc

That's a slang term for a rooster pheasant. My other great passion is upland bird hunting with my three dogs (a yellow Lab, an English setter and an English pointer).
ditchparrot19

Postby k9mark » April 29th, 2014, 10:31 am

Welcome northerner
"...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have Heroes..." .....Best partner I ever had ------------->
k9mark

Postby briansII » April 29th, 2014, 10:47 am

Welcome! You come from fishy parts of the State.

I've never heard pheasants called ditch parrots, but it makes perfect sense. I've founds lots of birds in overgrown ditches, and that squawk when they flush makes the connection to the slang name. I didn't hunt over dogs, so that flush and noise would get your heart rate up. Not to mention crap your pants. ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby flybob » April 29th, 2014, 5:37 pm

Hey DP19, welcome to the fray!

Can't wait to see some posts from your home waters!

A great bunch of people here just out there having fun and sharing the experience.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby midger » April 29th, 2014, 6:19 pm

Welcome to the fray, and if you're not a fly tyer, save those ditch parrot tail feathers. Lots of folks use them.

Are there that many areas you can hunt pheasants up north? I used to hunt them a lot when I grew up in Idaho. We used to even carry our shotguns in our cars/trucks to high school so we could leave for the fields at the end of the day. Can you imagine the trouble you'd get in if you tried that today?
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby ditchparrot19 » April 29th, 2014, 7:46 pm

midger wrote:Welcome to the fray, and if you're not a fly tyer, save those ditch parrot tail feathers. Lots of folks use them.

Are there that many areas you can hunt pheasants up north? I used to hunt them a lot when I grew up in Idaho. We used to even carry our shotguns in our cars/trucks to high school so we could leave for the fields at the end of the day. Can you imagine the trouble you'd get in if you tried that today?

I'm afraid I don't kill many wild birds anymore, as we've about run out of them up here in the Sacramento Valley. The environmental conditions are no longer suitable to a strong population with the rice farmed fencerow to fencerow (leaving no set-aside ground) and irrigation so efficient that no water ends up anywhere except precisely where it's intended to go. It all results in no brood-rearing cover for the hens.

I used to get 15 roosters a year on trips to far northeastern Montana, but I've sat those out the past 3 years since my daughter (now 5) entered preschool. She goes to kindergarten this year and I may start going again when she reaches first grade. The problem then will be that my canine crew will be of advanced age and I don't want to start a new puppy with all the kid activities we have.

I did some hunting in Idaho when I was a teenager in the late '70s/early '80s and it was still real good then. We hunted some in the Burley-Rupert area and also some out by Shoshone. Those populations have been decimated as well.

One tail fan will get me through 3 or 4 years of tying and I give quite a few away. I'm pretty sure I still have one or two left over from my last trip to Montana in 2010. Those feathers are beautiful – just a deep olive hue, some almost leaning a little bit toward yellow.
ditchparrot19

Postby WanderingBlues » April 30th, 2014, 5:03 am

Welcome aboard! Outta curiosity, did you know the Powell's in Lone Pine (Martin and Gary)? Their family owned and still owns the Best Western there.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby ditchparrot19 » April 30th, 2014, 7:32 am

WanderingBlues wrote:Welcome aboard! Outta curiosity, did you know the Powell's in Lone Pine (Martin and Gary)? Their family owned and still owns the Best Western there.

Yeah, the Powell kids were a bit older than me, but I encountered them on a few occasions. Marty was a basketball star at Lone Pine H.S. when I was in elementary school in the mid '70s. Kerry, his sister, used to teach swimming lessons at the motel pool.
ditchparrot19

Postby WanderingBlues » April 30th, 2014, 7:36 am

Small world. Gary's my neighbor. His son, Travis, runs the hotel now.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Brookflyguy » May 1st, 2014, 11:08 am

Another Nor Cal troutbum! Welcome!
Fish. Explore. Conserve. Live.
Brookflyguy

Postby Fishfreak911 » May 12th, 2014, 4:19 pm

Welcome aboard Ditcparrot19. Looking forward to your posts/reports.
Lotsa good, downhome folks here. Try and get in on the gatherings that occasionally happen. Usually lotsa good food (too much usually) and good adult bevs. Oh yeah, and good fish'n too. :bananadance:
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Next

Return to Welcome to FFA!