REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Quick guide search question. More defining questions

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Quick guide search question. More defining questions

Postby FRfisherPC » June 7th, 2014, 8:48 pm

Alrighty. Here is how the day went. Started early and dropped into a hole I knew about. Frank (the guide) set up my rig with three flies and a little bit of weight with a bobber. I had never done three flies so he was showing me how to properly cast them and caught the first fish on first cast and landed him. Nice 16 inch bow. Getting excited and handing the rod back to me, cast the flies out and hook a 18-20 inch bow. Being on 5x (my personal choice. Frank changed it later) the fish broke off the flies. After a few more successful hooks and one land. We moved up river to an area I didnt think you could get to. After a lil trial and error and corrections, I hooked the largest fish I personally have ever hooked and Frank said that was the biggest he had ever seen in this river. A lil fight and the flies broke off. A 22-24 inch brown turned and vanished into the river. Rerigged again(huge trend while nymphing apparently) cast out near the same area and hooked and landed a 16 inch bow. With the add of another spot and two more lands, we finished our day. I will say this...money extremely well spent. I learned a lot and was corrected on many small things that I was doing wrong. Frank was awesome and had cool conversations. I hooked more fish and landed bigger fish today than I had most of my fishing life (let alone flying lifetime). Im glad I hopped on here asked questions and got put in the direction I needed. All of this was a very helpful experience. Thank you all for the feedback. To answer all questions, no pictures because my camera was left in the truck and Frank's was left in his drift boat by accident. Sorry but for me the memories were worth more than the pictures.
FR :bananadance:
FRfisherPC

Postby midger » June 8th, 2014, 7:54 am

Sounds like a great time on the water. New techniques learned, fish caught (or not), and flowing water to wade. Does it get better?
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Wildman » June 8th, 2014, 8:43 am

Great report. Several personal bests in one day plus learning something new....sounds pretty good to me.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing