REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Long Time Fishing Addict, Newer FFA!

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Long Time Fishing Addict, Newer FFA!

Postby chrismgil » July 15th, 2014, 9:36 pm

Hi All!

Have been a member for a couple of years, but only started living(fishing) vicariously through everyone for a few months

Wow, where do I start!

I have been fishing for as long as I can remember. My dad use to take me and my brother when we were kids and I was the one who focused on the fishing. My uncle introduced me briefly to fly fishing when I was about 13 and remember thinking this is to hard. Shortly after that, I moved to Georgia and it was all about bass fishing. After a few years I returned to CA (Fresno) and it was bass fishing in ponds and trout fishing in the western Sierra lakes. After high school I moved to L.A. to play collegiate volleyball and I would go fishing to get away from everything. I continued to bass fish in some local tournaments and eventually working for a few tackle shops. Fishing at this point became life. From tuna trips, to local ocean charters, to my introduction to the eastern Sierras if there was water I'd fish it!

I bought a used Sage 7 1/2ft 4wt at the last tackle shop I worked at and put it on the shelf with the thoughts of fly fishing again. I met my wife and moved to Pasadena and the San Gabriel's were calling and so was that Sage!

After catching all kinds of fish in many different waters with a rod and reel, I needed a new challenge.

About 6 years ago I was hit with this bug that I have not been able to shake and am not sure I want to! My life of fishing came to a temporary stand still about 5 years ago after being blessed with the birth of my first of two daughters. I have already taken both girls fishing in the eastern sierras, they have caught trout and I can't wait until they are a little bit older and put a fly rod in there hands.

For the last 5 years, I get out when I can. A free day will lead me to the local mountains or an extended weekend I escape from the family for a day in Mammoth. I have even tried the playing with the fish in the surf. If I'm only have a few hours I'll tie, which I fell into a few years ago.

So thats my story! Sorry for the length! Thanks for making it all the way through! :)

Hopefully I'll have something to report soon!

Chris
chrismgil

Re: Long Time Fishing Addict, New FFA!

Postby Dry Fly Rie » July 15th, 2014, 9:44 pm

Hi Chris-

Welcome, and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.
Dry Fly Rie

Re: Long Time Fishing Addict, New FFA!

Postby stanbery » July 15th, 2014, 10:46 pm

Dry Fly Rie wrote:Hi Chris-

Welcome, and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.

x2
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Re: Long Time Fishing Addict, Newer FFA!

Postby rkfiske » July 16th, 2014, 4:27 am

Welcome aboard Chris!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby WanderingBlues » July 16th, 2014, 5:07 am

Welcome to the site. There's a grip of guys over in your area that are completely good folks. Look forward to seeing you on the water.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby flybob » July 16th, 2014, 5:43 am

Hey Chris...Welcome aboard!
Great group of people here, willing to share.
Looking forward to seeing some posts from your adventures.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby midger » July 17th, 2014, 4:23 am

Welcome to the forum and to the addiction of flyfishing. Like you, I have two daughters, but mine are now both adults (sort of) and now on their own--and both learned to flyfish growing up and the oldest still fishes with me 2-3 times a year.

Lots of great folks on the site and you can learn a lot by just reading the posts or getting actively involved in fishing forays like the annual GTW trip or trips to the Bishop area.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Return to Welcome to FFA!