REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Hello from Alaska

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Hello from Alaska

Postby AK-Ian » July 25th, 2014, 11:41 pm

My name is Ian and I live in Anchorage, AK. I've been fly fishing for many years, but only recently would call myself an addict. I started tying this winter and now it's all I can think of, that and fishing!

I've recently discovered Two-handed casting, so, I'm off on an adventure to learn as much as I can about that... Looks awesome so far!

Great site!
AK-Ian

Re: Hello from Alaska

Postby midger » July 26th, 2014, 5:52 am

Welcome and hope to see some postings about your adventures. Do you primarily fish for trout or are you a chaser of salmon? I'll bet you've accumulated a lot of stories over the years.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby WanderingBlues » July 27th, 2014, 10:56 am

Welcome aboard. I'm seriously looking forward to seeing some of your reports!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Wildman » July 27th, 2014, 11:12 am

Ian-We have several members who live in AK and will be look for some Trip Reports and flies you're tying. Welcome aboard....this is a great bunch of folks with a common interest and passion.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby AK-Ian » July 27th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Thanks for the welcomes! To answer Midger's question I chase anything that swims. I do enjoy trout fishing, but I wouldn't be completely honest if I didn't admit to falling victim to salmon fever. I also enjoy Pike fishing with a fly rod. Especially where they are considered invasive. Bead fishing for trout behind spawning salmon is an absolute blast!

Ian
AK-Ian

Postby stanbery » July 29th, 2014, 12:13 am

WanderingBlues wrote:Welcome aboard. I'm seriously looking forward to seeing some of your reports!

x2
Welocome aboard.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby briansII » July 29th, 2014, 9:50 am

Welcome to the asylum. :P So is there anything for a fly fisher to do up in Alaska? ;)

Two handed rods have changed the way I look at fly fishing. Not getting rid of my single handers, but I haven't picked one up in 3-4 months.

briansII
briansII

Postby BrownBear » August 15th, 2014, 5:16 pm

AK-Ian wrote:My name is Ian and I live in Anchorage, AK.

Hey Ian!

Welcome. Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I'm over on Kodiak, but have spent the last couple of winters in CA. Fishing may be better up here in summer, but it's awfully good down south in winter. And a whole lot warmer, too! :) Lotta guys on here to direct you to some good winter fishing if you make it south.
BrownBear

Return to Welcome to FFA!