REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Hello from Pasadena

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Hello from Pasadena

Postby jomcarlson » August 14th, 2014, 4:23 pm

Hi All,

Joseph Carlson here. Allow me to introduce myself. I'm a Seattle native, born and raised fishing the lakes and streams of the North Casacade range in Washington. I've been living in Pasadena, CA now for 3 years while working on a Masters degree. During that time due to a significant lack of local access to trout waters, I've explored fly fishing the surf in and around San Diego, hunting carp on the LA River, and chasing the tiny ghost trout in the small streams of the San Gabriel's and San Bernardinos.

With the exception of a 6 day fly fishing road trip from Seattle to LA a couple summer's ago (a short film of which can be seen here: ) all of my major fly fishing trips have focused on the Kern River and Kings Canyon. I'm headed up to the Kings this weekend for a couple of days to see how the trout are faring with the low water levels and high temperatures. Later in September I will be participating as a volunteer in one of CalTrout's Golden Trout Survey's in the Little Kern River Drainage, assisting their sonar study and hopefully finally catching a Golden.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself before I start asking questions! Wishing you all wet lines, and hopefully a few tight ones as well.
A wet line matters more to me than a tight one.
jomcarlson

Re: Hello from Pasadena

Postby acorad » August 15th, 2014, 9:30 am

Welcome aboard Joseph! And I am very interested to hear about your experience with the Golden Survey!

Andy
acorad

Postby fshflys » August 15th, 2014, 10:49 am

CalTrout's Golden Trout Survey's - Is that the one where you volunteer & they pack your gear & food in & you work Fri - Mon. I'd have loved to do that in my younger days. Are you going out of Lone Pine or Krenville. When you fished Hot Creek (in your vid) I see you were fishing "the interpretive center" did you also go down into the canyon?
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby jomcarlson » August 15th, 2014, 11:31 am

fshflys wrote:CalTrout's Golden Trout Survey's - Is that the one where you volunteer & they pack your gear & food in & you work Fri - Mon. I'd have loved to do that in my younger days. Are you going out of Lone Pine or Krenville. When you fished Hot Creek (in your vid) I see you were fishing "the interpretive center" did you also go down into the canyon?

You are correct about the Golden Trout Survey, my older brother and I are quite excited about it. We are going to be doing a film-photography editorial on the trip so i'll post a link once it goes live.

Yes, we actually spent the majority of our time at Hot Creek down in the canyon. Had fun and fish at both spots.
A wet line matters more to me than a tight one.
jomcarlson

Postby flybob » August 19th, 2014, 11:41 am

Hello Joseph, Welcome to the Fray....well it used to be when fishing was better!
Things are kind of slow around here these days.....but when the big rains come this winter.....it will surely pick up!

There are a bunch of great people here always willing to help.

Again, welcome!
And hope to see some fishey reports from you soon!

Nice little vid BTW........

FB
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Papasequoia » August 19th, 2014, 12:07 pm

Welcome, Joseph. Wet lines, haha, that should be the new tag line for everyone in CA. :sad:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby WanderingBlues » August 19th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Welcome to the site, Joseph. Hopefully, we'll see some wetter weather and get you on some local waters.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Return to Welcome to FFA!