REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Stranger in a strange land

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Re: Stranger in a strange land

Postby lucfish » December 10th, 2014, 9:39 pm

Nice job, thanks for posting.
lucfish

Postby Fishfreak911 » December 12th, 2014, 12:11 am

Welcome to Addicts Cullen! You have a lot of fishing opportunities you! I have on good word that Pyramid Lake is pumping out a lot of nice big fish right now. It's an interesting place where you actually fish from a ladder (to keep you out of the stomach high cold water) on a large lake with huge cutthroat trout! You can manage for them or strip streamers for them. You will likely catch the largest trout you have ever seen their. The average size is 3 to 5 pounds!
Stoked to see you already got on some pretty nice fish. Bummer about that large brown, but you know where he lives! Good luck and will look forward to seeing you next report.
Greg<><
Creating the finest custom flyfishing nets on the planet is my passion!

http://www.Sierra-Nets.com
Fishfreak911

Postby jazz on the fly » December 16th, 2014, 2:01 pm

Cullen,

Welcome to the board. I live about 3 hours south of you in Mammoth. There is plenty of good fishing where both of us are and many points in between, if you head down this way, or if I head up that way, we should meet up and do some fishing.

Andre
jazz on the fly

Postby Cfish » December 17th, 2014, 8:00 am

Thanks all for the great feedback. Andre - yes we should! I am definitely looking to meet up with some "local" people and explore some new waters.

It looks like we have a nice 3 day patch in the upper 40's next week. I am going to try and head out and wet a line in some new water having fished the Little Truckee a couple of times. I am thinking either the "big" Truckee or maybe Pyramid. Based on reports, it sounds like those are potentially the most active fisheries right now - unless there are any other suggestions out there ;)

The weatherman keeps saying we are going to get more snow, but every morning when I get up to walk the wonder dog, the projected 1 - 3 inches over night ends up being about a quarter of an inch. My wife just brought her powder skies up from her folks place - I think she may have jinxed us... I did get on the fat bike yesterday and rode about ten miles up behind North Star - it is amazing how fast the snow gets deeper as you gain altitude. It was really pretty up there.

Cfish

Postby midger » December 17th, 2014, 10:35 am

How do you like riding the bike in snow? I've seen them in Boise running along the greenbelt, but never seen one in action in the snow, and they look like they'd be fun, but I assume, also a lot of work pedaling in the snow.

I hope your wife gets to use her powder skis. The backside of Northstar gets some great powder in the trees after certain storms (dry ones) pass through. It was actually one of our favorite areas to ski after storms hit the area.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby Cfish » December 18th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Midger -

The fat bike is an absolute ball - in the snow or otherwise. You can actually truck along pretty well in the snow - depending on how deep / soft it is. You do have to adjust your expectations regarding speed compared to "normal" trail riding, but it is a great way to get out and cover some ground in the Winter, and beats the heck out of freezing your butt off out on the road this time of year. If you are curious, you should try renting one and see what you think. One tip - platform pedals stink in the snow - if you are used to clipless, ride them. Obviously you will need to make some accommodations to keep your feet warm (wool socks, shoe covers etc.)

Cullen
Cfish

Postby anacrime » December 22nd, 2014, 8:23 pm

Bikes, beers, and trout! We should be friends!
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Previous

Return to Welcome to FFA!