REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Kern River Website?? Down forever?

A place to find information on Guides, Events and sales happening at local fly shops.

Kern River Website?? Down forever?

Postby Baughb » January 16th, 2015, 12:05 pm

Can no longer access the Kern River forums or the shop's website. Any news about this?

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Re: Kern River Website?? Down forever?

Postby acorad » January 16th, 2015, 12:13 pm

I talked to Guy and Kimberly about this on Wednesday, they said it should be back up "in a couple days."

Andy
acorad

Postby acorad » January 16th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Looks like it's back up, go here: http://kernriverflyfishing.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Andy
acorad

Postby Papasequoia » January 16th, 2015, 10:29 pm

There was something on their FB page about moving everything to a new server and provider and that it would take a few days. It figures - I went to fish the Kern for the first time in ages and was looking to see if there were any recent reports and the site was down, that's what led me to FB.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Gary C. » January 16th, 2015, 11:20 pm

That brings up a more important question, how was the Kern?
Gary C.

Postby Baughb » January 17th, 2015, 9:55 am

That link worked. I'm happy for them to get it going again.

Thank you!

Bob
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
Baughb

Postby Papasequoia » January 17th, 2015, 12:20 pm

Gary C. wrote:That brings up a more important question, how was the Kern?

Uhhhmmmm, do I have to answer that question, your honor? Let's just say slow to very slow. :D However, it was a beautiful day to be on the river - sunny, no pressure, a nice beer for lunch while sitting in the sun - it doesn't get much better.

I haven't been to the shop in years and I wanted to stop in and see the new digs so I passed by there first. The woman working behind the counter (Sharon? Karen?) said that they would be stocking next week, and either the river really needs it, or I really need to hone my Kern skills which have gotten rusty with disuse. Very low flows between the outtake and intake with lots of sediment along the sides. It really needs a good scouring.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby lucfish » January 17th, 2015, 12:30 pm

Papasequoia wrote:
Gary C. wrote:That brings up a more important question, how was the Kern?

Uhhhmmmm, do I have to answer that question, your honor? Let's just say slow to very slow. :D However, it was a beautiful day to be on the river - sunny, no pressure, a nice beer for lunch while sitting in the sun - it doesn't get much better.

I haven't been to the shop in years and I wanted to stop in and see the new digs so I passed by there first. The woman working behind the counter (Sharon? Karen?) said that they would be stocking next week, and either the river really needs it, or I really need to hone my Kern skills which have gotten rusty with disuse. Very low flows between the outtake and intake with lots of sediment along the sides. It really needs a good scouring.

You need to go back steelhead fishing, then you'll get some.
lucfish

Postby Wildman » January 17th, 2015, 12:54 pm

Kern River site is back up
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby Ants » January 18th, 2015, 10:45 am

As my local waters, I can safely say the Kern is challenging at the moment. Most times, the river is near empty (of fishermen) and blissfully enjoyed that. With low flows and clear water, it is an opportune time to view and remember your favorite fishing spots. As to fish, they are sparse and spooky. I understand that during the Christmas holidays and warmer weather the fishermen came.

The stocking has been ongoing, but the benefits are hard to realize. The fish supply has a deficit that may approach our national debt. A big improvement will occur if there is enough flow for a significant spawning migration from lake upstream.

If you can find areas without footprints, the fishing should be more normal. However, it seems those footprint free areas are not even whispered about.

In the popular areas, I usually find a trout or two, but there will be a long haul to get the populations back.

Ants
Ants

Postby Gary C. » January 18th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Thanks for the updates on the Kern guys. I was really hoping that things had improved with the cooler weather and reduced crowds.
Gary C.

Postby fivefish » January 22nd, 2015, 9:36 am

If anyone is close enough to Guy or Joe to relay some info, let them know they need what's called a "301 redirect" on the old URL. It will push users with the old URL to the new URL, and more importantly, will give search engines the correct path to the new forum, which is a big thing. Broken URLs (basically every URL that has been indexed from the old site, every thread) will tank search engine rankings.

This URL explains the process.
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/93633?hl=en
fivefish

Postby fly addict » January 22nd, 2015, 4:33 pm

fivefish wrote:If anyone is close enough to Guy or Joe to relay some info, let them know they need what's called a "301 redirect" on the old URL. It will push users with the old URL to the new URL, and more importantly, will give search engines the correct path to the new forum, which is a big thing. Broken URLs (basically every URL that has been indexed from the old site, every thread) will tank search engine rankings.

This URL explains the process.
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/93633?hl=en

They need a shot of something because it sure is quiet over there.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby fivefish » January 22nd, 2015, 5:49 pm

Most people just use the link their browser autofills from their history or a bookmarked link, so they probably think the site is down still. Regardless, yes it was slow on that site even before the transition. So is this one though... not a lot of people fishing. I haven't even bought my license yet because I've been sick and quite frankly I've given up on the Kern for now. Maybe I'll hit it again in the spring, but this winter has flat out sucked up there.
fivefish

Postby Wildman » January 22nd, 2015, 6:06 pm

Passed along the info to Guy. He was stoked. Thanks for that.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Guides, Shop Happenings and Fly Shop Deals