REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Echo Two Hand Glass Rod

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Echo Two Hand Glass Rod

Postby briansII » March 4th, 2015, 5:08 pm

Had a chance to test cast the brand new, fiberglass, Echo 10' 8" 4wt Switch Rod. I had some preconceived ideas of what it would be like, but my first cast blew those right out of the water.

Backing up a bit. This is a brand new rod out in Jan 2015. Comes in Switch and Spey models at a "reasonable" price range of $279 - $299.

http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/rod_ ... page_id=67

http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/rod_ ... page_id=66

I had a short session with the 4wt Switch, and tried a few lines to see what I and the rod liked. Like I mentioned, my first cast changed my thoughts on what to expect with this rod. This is not your Dad's fiberglass rod. Felt very light in hand, and not all that slow/soft. Nice crisp feel, and I didn't feel any rebound that you typically feel on older glass rods. Loaded with a heavier line, you get a nice deep flex, but in no way does the rod feel overloaded. Echo recommends a grain range of 210 - 270. I tried a 240, 255 and 275. I liked the 240 best, with the 275 feeling good too. Not only is it an extremely fun rod to cast, but it's a pretty rod too.

The Echo felt like a feather compared to some of my other rods.

I think this would be a fine entry into the spey casting, or a fun rod to fish for anyone looking for something a little different. Hate seeing this one go, but wouldn't be surprised if one of these showed up at my doorstep in the future.

briansII
briansII

Re: Echo Two Hand Glass Rod

Postby midger » March 4th, 2015, 8:26 pm

Brian,
Nice report and sounds like it's going to do okay in the market. I enjoy switch rods and it looks like that would fit the bill nicely. Why don't you get one and decide you need a new toy so let it go on the cheap. ;) :bananadance:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: Echo Two Hand Glass Rod

Postby briansII » March 5th, 2015, 9:57 am

midger wrote:Brian,
Nice report and sounds like it's going to do okay in the market. I enjoy switch rods and it looks like that would fit the bill nicely. Why don't you get one and decide you need a new toy so let it go on the cheap. ;) :bananadance:

Ha! Selling off any gear is like selling a family member. :|

I was thinking about you when I was casting this rod. I think this, or one of the other switch rods, would be useful to you. If you didn't like the softer action, you could sell it to me for 1/2 off. :P

Right now i'm debating on the 3wt Switch, or the 6wt Spey......but then I have a few other things I'm debating. :roll: :roll:

briansII
briansII

Return to Gear Review