REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fishusa.com

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Fishusa.com

Postby The Steady Foot » February 22nd, 2014, 10:45 am

This is not really a gear review but a review of the website fishusa.com.

They advertise a great deal on Simms Freestone wading boots. Once you enter your size it even gives you an up to date, or so I guessed, availability. The site said my boot was available so I went ahead with my purchase.

I get a few calls and emails in the next few days saying the boot is on back order, do I want to wait until mid May? He'll no, who wants to wait nearly 3 months for the order to arrive?

I went back to the site to see if they had updated the availability...they have not. You can order these boots to this very moment. Pretty disappointing. I won't buy from them
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too, you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe....
The Steady Foot

Re: Fishusa.com

Postby BrownBear » February 22nd, 2014, 11:27 am

I've had the same experience multiple times from Cabelas. Makes me nuts. No choice but to cancel orders at the first sight of the word "backorder" when in fact the display page continues to say they're in stock. No sense for it and no call. Good to know about these guys, and I'll add them to my * Watch list.
BrownBear

Postby fivefish » February 23rd, 2014, 11:53 pm

Keep in mind that most smaller shops don't have real time inventory tracking that integrates online and physical store sales. Most will drop ship from the manufacturer as well so they can keep their store stock available for those that wander into the store. The manufacturers offer no API (programming interface) to pull real time inventory data into shopping cart inventories, so there really isn't a good way for a smaller industry like fly fishing to run the way we desire. Until Amazon takes over fly fishing gear sales the best advice I can give is call before ordering. Fly shop owners will be more helpful making sure you get the appropriate gear for your needs than a big box store employee.
fivefish

Postby fly addict » February 25th, 2014, 12:14 pm

I have never dealt with the online retailer you have mentioned. But I will say I have had nothing but good experiences with the online flyshop retailers that I have done business with over the years. It is so easy to shop online in the comfort of your home or office. Most online retailers offer free shipping on orders and you don’t have to pay sales tax if they are out of state either.
The better ones keep great records of inventory and you know with a click of a button if something is in stock or not.
Some of the gear I use is not even available at my local flyshop and they don’t plan on stocking it. I’ll use the local shops when it is convent for me and I know beforehand that they have what I want before I’ll drive 45 minutes one-way. Gas money and my time; make it hard for me to justify going there just to look around.
When I go fishing I’ll stop in the local fly shops to say hi and buy a few things I might need for the trip, stuff like leaders or tippets, and a few flies.
In today’s world I think a flyshop or any other business that does not have a strong online presence is probably going to have a very tuff time making ends meet. Brick and mortar retailers need to adapt to a changing economy and the way consumers purchase things. Internet retail sales are here to stay, and as a consumer I’m going to use it.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby Jimbo Roberts » February 27th, 2014, 9:01 am

I have used several on-line fly shops with good results.
One is right in your neighborhood "The Fly Shop" in Redding California.
I am usually just buying the basics, but I have always received ordered in short periods of time.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby BrownBear » February 27th, 2014, 10:32 am

Jimbo Roberts wrote:One is right in your neighborhood "The Fly Shop" in Redding California.

Outstanding service and honest as can be. They're really responsive to email and phone calls too. I know of several that are comparable, but none that are better.
BrownBear

Postby SxS » May 21st, 2015, 11:57 pm

Just ordered two Cortland "sylk" lines from fish usa, a DT4 and DT5, the price was literally about 2 for one so i jumped on it. got an email about an hour later saying both items shipped.. we'll see... thanks for the heads up, wish i had read it a little earlier, but hopefully the items were truly shipped. Only ran into trouble once buying online. An Amazon Oakley deal went south and lingered on for a month or so but I did get my money back eventually..
SxS

Postby darrin terry » May 22nd, 2015, 2:27 pm

Good to know about fishusa. I've not had that problem with Cabela's as far as I can recall. Bob Marriott's on the other hand has had to call me with backorder updates with maybe 90% of my orders over about 3 or 4 years. Always small stuff, usually tying materials. Still, I will keep this in mind.
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby NorcalBob » May 22nd, 2015, 6:05 pm

I just ordered a backup pair of cheap travel waders from FishUSA on MON and they were in my hot little hands today (FRI). This is the only time I've ever ordered from them so I give them two thumbs up.
NorcalBob

Postby SxS » May 23rd, 2015, 9:42 am

The Two Cortland lines i ordered showed up today, that's like two days all the way from PA to CA, and delivered on a Saturday. i have to give them two thumbs up as well...
SxS

Postby The Steady Foot » May 28th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Good to hear it, they have good prices.

I forgot to come back here and report some follow up...it turned out the Simms was responsible for the back order as literally every dealer I tried was limited to stock on hand. I guess Simms was backed up, hence the hold up at shops.

I still think they should have updated the site to reflect the true status on availability, but I have to give em a break here.
There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too, you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe....
The Steady Foot

Return to Gear Review