REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Backpacking Coffee Review

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Re: Backpacking Coffee Review

Postby 1mocast » March 20th, 2015, 7:29 am

For me, in the backcountry, almost any instant hot cup of joe is good. :)
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Wildman » March 20th, 2015, 8:13 am

I have always preferred straight "boil" coffee in the back country. I tried and didn't like the Starbucks stuff. Handful of grounds into boiling water...when you can't see the bottom...take it off and throw in a dollop of cold water to settle the grounds and enjoy.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby anacrime » March 20th, 2015, 6:53 pm

I do pour overs at home and the backcountry. GSI makes an excellent 0.5oz super fine mesh filter that latches onto any cup I've tried. I use a Ti Snow Peak mug. Generally bury, burn, or throw the grounds in the creek when finished.

http://www.rei.com/product/784659/gsi-o ... ffee-maker
"Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsman grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one."
-Edward Abbey
anacrime

Postby WildernessLite » July 19th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Great coffee info--I hike with a group that lives on coffee, and lives to regret it when we hit the water in our float tubes. Trips to shore are frequent.

We've tried about everything over the years, but lately have gone back to a cheap, lightweight percolator over our camp stoves or camp fire. A bit heavy, but we're splitting the common shared gear among 4 or 5 guys, so I am often bringing the coffee (darkest roast we can find--any suggestions?) and the percolator. Tastes great, and really hits the spot on September mornings at 20 degrees in the mountains.
Gave up on instant and coffee singles long ago. Just made the commitment that float tubes, fishing gear, and great coffee are along for every trip, no matter how far we go.
WildernessLite

Postby DubL HauL » July 20th, 2015, 9:35 am

dunkin-doughnuts is the greatest!
DubL HauL

Previous

Return to Gear Review