REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Tailing Gloves?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Tailing Gloves?

Postby briansII » November 11th, 2015, 11:01 am

Here's a video of the effects of removing the fish's protective slime coating.

It's common knowledge that removing the slime coat is bad for fish, but we rarely get to see the effects of it.

briansII
briansII

Re: Tailing Gloves?

Postby NorcalBob » November 11th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Take your pick of damages: 1) use a tailing glove and remove slime from the tail section, or, 2) don't use a tailing glove and drop the fish on it's head. I've made my choice! I use a tailing glove for handling large fish and I do not use a tailing glove for handling smaller fish where I use dehooking device to not touch the fish at all (about 99% of my fish are released using a dehooking device and I never touch it). While a glove does indeed remove much more protective slime than a wet hand, a wet hand has it's own negative issues that cause damage. I make no illusions about how my catch & release activities potentially damage the fish and it's populations, because I know they all have a negative impact. The best thing for the fish is for me not to catch it at all. But then again, I ain't gonna do that! The second best thing is for me to release it so it just might survive (as opposed to killing it).
PS: there is a very good reason why many fish biologists use a tailing glove for large fish while handling it whilst they do their work
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » November 11th, 2015, 1:15 pm

NorcalBob wrote:Take your pick of damages: 1) use a tailing glove and remove slime from the tail section, or, 2) don't use a tailing glove and drop the fish on it's head. I've made my choice! I use a tailing glove for handling large fish and I do not use a tailing glove for handling smaller fish where I use dehooking device to not touch the fish at all (about 99% of my fish are released using a dehooking device and I never touch it). While a glove does indeed remove much more protective slime than a wet hand, a wet hand has it's own negative issues that cause damage. I make no illusions about how my catch & release activities potentially damage the fish and it's populations, because I know they all have a negative impact. The best thing for the fish is for me not to catch it at all. But then again, I ain't gonna do that! The second best thing is for me to release it so it just might survive (as opposed to killing it).
PS: there is a very good reason why many fish biologists use a tailing glove for large fish while handling it whilst they do their work

Since I took up swinging flies for steelhead, I don't have to worry about removing their slime coating. :|

Understand what you're saying Bob. I just thought the video gave us a unique look at what _could_ happen. IMHO, the video is an extreme example of using a glove. The guy in the video held on for a long time, and was a bit rough. No telling what the water quality was like in that holding tank. I have only seen a couple fish that had fungus/discoloration around the "wrist" area, so by no means a common thing in the waters I fish.

It's a blood sport. Only way to stop it, is cut the hook point off, or quit fishing. I'm not doing either anytime soon.

briansII
briansII

Postby NorcalBob » November 11th, 2015, 1:51 pm

<<<It's a blood sport. Only way to stop it, is cut the hook point off, or quit fishing. I'm not doing either anytime soon.>>>
Me too!!!! :doh:
I apologize for the blatant hijack of your thread, because the basic message is good. But I'd much rather see a don't handle your fish at all if possible message, rather than criticize a method for safely controlling large fish during release. If you have to handle your fish (regrettably, this is sometimes unavoidable) you have to balance the risk of fatal damage versus slime removal (which is commonly not fatal). For example, I have never seen any one use a dehooking device whilst releasing a fish, and yet that is by far the best way to handle catch & release and I use one all the time. I'd much rather see a video promoting that rather than criticizing using a glove. :Pop:
NorcalBob

Postby acorad » November 11th, 2015, 2:13 pm

NorcalBob wrote: I have never seen any one use a dehooking device whilst releasing a fish, and yet that is by far the best way to handle catch & release and I use one all the time. I'd much rather see a video promoting that rather than criticizing using a glove. :Pop:

Well, here ya go!

Click on this video:

Andy
acorad

Postby acorad » November 11th, 2015, 2:17 pm

brianII, how do you put a video on this site so you watch it on this site?

When I added my video in my comment above, it takes you off the site to watch it.

Andy
acorad

Postby briansII » November 11th, 2015, 3:47 pm

acorad wrote:brianII, how do you put a video on this site so you watch it on this site?

When I added my video in my comment above, it takes you off the site to watch it.

Andy

EDIT

Sorry, I didn't watch your video before replying. My info below doesn't apply to Photobucket videos. AFAIK, that's the only way to post PB videos. Disregard the proceeding gibberish.

I'm sure the instructions on how to post a youtube video is somewhere on this site, but I'm not sure where. It's also on the web, if my instruction don't work for you.

When you find the youtube video you are looking for, copy the link/address. When posting to the forum, click the youtube box in the upper right of the message box. [youtube][/youtube] Your cursor will be flashing in the middle of the youtube commands. Just right click that cursor and paste the link in the middle. Now you have to find the = sign in the link. Delete the = sign, and everything before it in your link. Full link looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8VETvLLa0o Correct, trimmed down link will look like this: a8VETvLLa0o As long as the trimmed down link is correctly placed between the commands, it should work.

I probably confused you, more than helped. :doh:

briansII

briansII

Return to General Fly Fishing