REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Set that parking brake..........

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Set that parking brake..........

Postby midger » November 17th, 2015, 6:04 pm

I saw this on Kiene's Forum. Apparently a guide on the Trinity didn't set the brake and the result was a sunk rig. Fortunately nobody was hurt but I'm sure the insurance company won't be happy.

"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Re: Set that parking brake..........

Postby fly addict » November 17th, 2015, 6:19 pm

I have seen that sort of thing happen many times on the launch ramp in Dana Pt. Most times adult beverages were in the mix.
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby flybob » November 18th, 2015, 10:00 am

Well not a TOTAL loss, at least the boat was free from the trailer! :roll:
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby bassman » November 18th, 2015, 10:19 am

Years ago when I lived up on the north shore of Lake Superior I used to put in at a ramp that had a terrible tilt to it and backed right into 25' of water. Fortunately there was a short concrete dock next to ramp. I had an old '73 Ford pickup with no emergency brake and not enough compression to hold on hill anymore. I would back my boat into water, reach down and stick a big rock behind front tire and back down into the rock. Then I'd put it gear, jump out and push boat off and pull it onto bank.

Well this one time I got out of truck and when I pushed the boat the truck jumped the big rock and took off down the ramp. Fortunately for me the rock twisted the steering wheel to the right which curved the bumper of the truck into the concrete dock. It was in far enough that the box had water about half way up and got wet getting into truck. Then it was starting it and wondering if I was going to have to wait for a 4x4 to show up and get me out. With a lot of clutch sliding to keep from breaking tires loose I got out of there but after that I not only put a rock behind front tire but jumped out and immediately put one behind back. Amazing what we did up north when the coho stocking started to pay off. That boat I was using at that time was a 30 year old 13' wood boat I'd patched up with fiberglass to hold it together, but the coho sure tasted good and fought hard.
bassman

Postby littlefish » November 18th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Yeah... I saw this on instagram. I think it's Darrin Deel's car!
littlefish

Postby John Harper » November 18th, 2015, 6:38 pm

Nothing like a little gasoline and oil chum in the water to turn the bite on.
flybob wrote:Well not a TOTAL loss, at least the boat was free from the trailer! :roll:
Nice color match on the boat and truck though. Shame to lose that.

John
John Harper

Postby Swanee » November 26th, 2015, 12:06 pm

I heard that he was in the truck at the time and had to escape out the window. The Ice on the ramp did the trick.
Swanee

Postby Bstallings » November 27th, 2015, 4:30 pm

Read Darrin Deel's explanation on Kienes Forum or at Midcurrent for full story.
Bstallings

Postby Bstallings » November 27th, 2015, 10:13 pm

FIELDANDSTREAM.COM
Fishing Guide’s Truck Rolls Into the Trinity River
All anglers have had their share of bad days on the river—but going home empty-handed sure beats this. The truck in this picture—which belongs to flyfishing guide Darrin Deel—is on the bottom of the Trinity River in California, while Deel’s boat, still attached, floats on top.

After guiding two steelhead fisherman on Sunday, Deel was loading his six-week-old drift boat onto its trailer when, three cranks in, the trailer and truck started rolling into the water. Apparently, though, the parking and emergency brakes were both on. “I jumped in to throw [the truck] in park, and it was already in park,” says Deel, with 530 Outfitters. “At that point, it was rolling so fast it took me with it. I couldn’t get out until water started coming in.”

Deel’s wallet and fishing equipment were in the boat and stayed dry. His cell phone, however, was charging in the truck and is a total loss—as is the 2004 Toyota 4Runner itself. Fortunately, Deel has insurance, and he’s now shopping for a Tundra. It’s still unclear why the truck slid into the water, but a bad transmission may be to blame.
Bstallings

Return to General Fly Fishing