REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Best Cold Weather Fishing/Hunting Gloves?

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Best Cold Weather Fishing/Hunting Gloves?

Postby FIGHTONSC » December 3rd, 2015, 2:43 pm

Any suggestions or recommendations on cold weather gloves that actually work and you can fly fish or pull a trigger with.

I have tried the neoprenes (Glacier gloves and Kenai's) and the old tried and true half finger wool gloves, along with half finger convertible mittens. Nothing seems to work very well up here when near water when the temperature dips.

Is there anything out there that works more than a half hour in 20 degree weather? I'm carrying three pairs of U.S. Military wool glove liners and swapping them out every half hour, just to have feeling in my hands and fingers.

I'm not seeing any other fly fisherman, so, maybe that's the answer....stay home and tie flies!

Chime in Brownbear, on how they do it in Ak in the Spring and Fall months.

Regards,

Jeff
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Re: Best Cold Weather Fishing/Hunting Gloves?

Postby midger » December 3rd, 2015, 2:59 pm

Jeff,
I'd like to tell you that I'd found the gloves to meet your needs, but like you I've tried them all and determined that I just can't stand fishing with gloves on. Instead, I carry the hand warmer packets in my pocket and stick my hands in to warm them up whenever they get too cold to use. You can buy the warmer packets at STP in Meridian and they last 3 hours or so once activated.

BTW, I hate fishing in gloves.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » December 3rd, 2015, 3:32 pm

midger wrote:Jeff,
I'd like to tell you that I'd found the gloves to meet your needs, but like you I've tried them all and determined that I just can't stand fishing with gloves on. Instead, I carry the hand warmer packets in my pocket and stick my hands in to warm them up whenever they get too cold to use. You can buy the warmer packets at STP in Meridian and they last 3 hours or so once activated.

BTW, I hate fishing in gloves.

Ditto. I hate wearing full fingered gloves, but I do use the 1/2 finger gloves in cold weather. Besides hand warmers in my pockets, I stick one inside my gloves. Either inside the wrist area, or on the back of my hands. This helps a lot, but the tips of my fingers will still get cold. This is what I'm currently using.

http://www.fishwest.com/p/simms-windsto ... oCkTPw_wcB

briansII
briansII

Postby clee » December 3rd, 2015, 4:05 pm

Wore these in freezing conditions in Utah, Bishop and last year in your duck blind:
http://geierglove.com/merinowool.html
Obviously not for fly fishing. It's also not too thick as to interfere with my beloved double triggers.
clee

Postby stanbery » December 3rd, 2015, 5:00 pm

I do what Brian does, just add the blue or black 9 mil Nitrile gloves
Under the glove and they work fine with the glove that Brian showed.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby FIGHTONSC » December 3rd, 2015, 5:19 pm

Mike and Brian,

I had Helen buy 40 pairs (80 ea.) of heat packets on sale at Costco today for $12.99. I will give these a try tomorrow while duck hunting.

Charles,
It's been so cold this last week that all of my duck calls freeze up after you blow them once (8 degrees one morning with a high of 14). Lots of birds though! Have a lot of mallards, pintails, snows, and teal in the freezer. The honkers have eluded me so far, even though they are here by the thousands (especially in my back yard).

Jon,
I'll pick up some nitrile gloves in the morning and give them a try.

Thanks guys,

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Postby planettrout » December 3rd, 2015, 5:28 pm

Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby FIGHTONSC » December 3rd, 2015, 5:33 pm

Thanks PT,

Hopefully Santa will come down the chimney with a pair!

Best regards,

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Postby clee » December 3rd, 2015, 5:40 pm

FIGHTONSC wrote:Charles,
It's been so cold this last week that all of my duck calls freeze up after you blow them once (8 degrees one morning with a high of 14). Lots of birds though! Have a lot of mallards, pintails, snows, and teal in the freezer. The honkers have eluded me so far, even though they are here by the thousands (especially in my back yard).

That's awesome! Wish I were there with you or at least at your duck club. Haven't made it out yet this season. Maybe next week.
clee

Postby ldr » December 3rd, 2015, 7:18 pm

FIGHTONSC wrote:Mike and Brian,

I had Helen buy 40 pairs (80 ea.) of heat packets on sale at Costco today for $12.99. I will give these a try tomorrow while duck hunting.

Charles,

Jon,
I'll pick up some nitrile gloves in the morning and give them a try.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

I can chip in... the honker count is way too low. Dinner was great. Thanks.
"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra
ldr

Postby FIGHTONSC » December 4th, 2015, 9:33 am

It was fun Larry, and the whisky was smooth!

Look forward to another Kansas get together!

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Postby Packer » December 4th, 2015, 12:43 pm

Hello Jeff.
I agree that the hand warms are the best way to keep your hands warmer than the ambient temps. I also use them for my feet and I use the double back/hip warmers when in my waders in cold deep water. A real asset to have.
I would like to know if they set off some sort of odor that could alert hogs, deer ect. to my presence while in the blinds.
Thanks, Tim
....................................................................................................................................HOLD MY BEAR AND WATCH THIS!
Packer

Postby FIGHTONSC » December 5th, 2015, 7:31 am

Tim,
I tried out a heat packet while putting up the Christmas lights the other day....seemed odorless, but my nose is more a tune to burgers and ribs! :mrgreen:

Regards,

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Postby FlyKastr » April 2nd, 2016, 10:27 am

Hi Jeff,

I’m chiming in after the fact, but have you heard of a company called Kast Gear from Idaho Falls? Their fishing gloves seem to be favorably rated. Reviews praise Kast gloves for warmth without much bulk and the full finger gloves keep hands dry. I don’t own a pair myself, but I’m interested in their Raptor Trigger glove. Unfortunately, they don’t sell them in my area. Like Simms, these gloves are pricey, but perhaps this may be something to consider for your cold weather hunting and fly fishing.

http://kastgear.com/gloves.html

Best Regards,
FlyKastr
FlyKastr

Postby FIGHTONSC » April 3rd, 2016, 7:37 am

FlyKastr wrote: Like Simms, these gloves are pricey, but perhaps this may be something to consider for your cold weather hunting and fly fishing.

Thanks for the head's up! Boy, you're not kidding about them being pricey! I'd have to come out of retirement and go back to work to afford a pair of their Steehead model!

I've resigned myself to fishing in mainly above 40 degree temps without gloves and hunting with three pairs of military issue wool liners and swapping them out when they get damp. I also use the hand warmer packets in my slit pockets of my duck parka to keep the pairs of gloves I'm not wearing toasty.

The best pair of gloves for me were the Buffalo Wool gloves that PlanetTrout turned me onto. They too were expensive at $70 bucks. They worked well until I lost one while picking up a woodduck in the Boise River. I took one off to keep the glove dry when I reached for the bird in the water and it got swept away in the current. I'm done with buying expensive gloves for awhile or until I hit the lottery.

Best regards,

Jeff
FIGHTONSC

Next

Return to Gear Review