REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Finally pulled the trigger....

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Finally pulled the trigger....

Postby Benny » December 7th, 2015, 3:07 pm

on a Outcast Pac 1000.

After lots of research on fishing catarafts and pontoons, I chose the Outcast Pac 1000. I had been close to getting other water craft, even went the route of building a cataraft, for one reason or another didn't feel quite comfortable pulling the trigger.

Thought hard about a Scadden pontoon, I just didn't feel comfortable with his warranty. Way to many people have had major issues with warranty from Dave Scadden.

Thought about building my own cataraft, but the price was a little more than what I wanted to spend.

Looked at other cataraft builders out there with some really nice looking boats, but again the price was a bit of an issue. In addition to price, some of them were using inferior pontoon tubes, with little to no warranties at a premium price.

Below are the specs for the Outcast Pac 1000. Tubes are good sized with a diameter of 18". Frame comes apart for easy storage. Pontoon tubes come with a 10 year no fault warranty. This is a huge selling point for me, Aire and Outcast are basically the same company and stand 100% behind there products.

So the Outcast Pac 1000 retails for $1499, a bit pricey. Well I made some calls and sent some emails to some dealers. I ended up with retailers wanting my business. It's actually good to know they are willing to go below the retail prices. All I did was ask what is the lowest they could go on the price. The lowest I could get was $1199 + shipping. I pulled the trigger and getting my new pontoon from a California dealer for a final price of $1264 shipped to my front door. Note the California dealer beat the out of state dealer by $1 dollar, plus I would rather give my business to the California dealer.

Do your home work and research, and give the retailers a call and ask what is the best price they can do, or email and find out what they can do. Ask if they have any price matching, that did it for me. I am so glad this was possible and dealers were willing to negotiate the price.

SPECS:
Length x Width x Height: 10' x 58"
Tube Diameter: 18"
Weight: 62 lbs.
Load Capacity: 500 lbs.
Aire Chambers: 2
AIREcell Material: Urethane
Fabric Denier x Material Weight: 1100 pvc / 27 oz.
Seam Construction: Welded
Valve: Summit II
Warranty: 10 Year

Hopefully I will post a report of floating and camping on the Colorado River sometime in the near future. Or maybe some other big river.
Benny

Re: Finally pulled the trigger....

Postby RichardCullip » December 7th, 2015, 3:19 pm

Looks like you got a good one at a great price. Have fun out there.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Papasequoia » December 7th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Looks nice - can't wait for the reports!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby BrownBear » December 7th, 2015, 6:07 pm

I have over 10 years on a 9' Outcast. Don't remember the model, but if I was doing rivers I'd go to your model in a heartbeat. You can rest easy about that 10 year warranty. In my firsthand experience, you can expect great service long after that. They're bombproof.
BrownBear

Postby fly addict » December 7th, 2015, 8:26 pm

Darn, only a single seater... ;)
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby lucfish » December 7th, 2015, 9:41 pm

Sure have come a long way since the first Bucks Bag I purchased about 25 years ago. I think it was 79.95, awe those innertube days.
lucfish

Postby fshflys » December 8th, 2015, 7:04 am

lucfish wrote:Sure have come a long way since the first Bucks Bag I purchased about 25 years ago. I think it was 79.95, awe those innertube days.

Even further, my sister bought my dad a canvas float tube back in '73, it was just a cover for the tube with a seat & suspenders, no back to lean against, no pockets. He never had the guts to use it, I did a few times out in Crowley.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby BrownBear » December 8th, 2015, 8:53 am

fshflys wrote:
lucfish wrote:Sure have come a long way since the first Bucks Bag I purchased about 25 years ago. I think it was 79.95, awe those innertube days.

Even further, my sister bought my dad a canvas float tube back in '73, it was just a cover for the tube with a seat & suspenders, no back to lean against, no pockets. He never had the guts to use it, I did a few times out in Crowley.

Oh yeah. Bet I still have one of those in a box somewhere. Along with the little metal "flapper" fins that strapped onto your ankles so you could paddle forward.... Sort of.... First used it on Isabella in about 1970. Quite a step up though, from the one I made by fashioning a "seat" in a bare tube via crossed sections of surplus fire hose! Ah.... The adventures of youth. It's a wonder any of us survive. :bananadance:
BrownBear

Postby briansII » December 8th, 2015, 10:14 am

Nice boat Benny. I bet you'll be very happy with it. Bigger, as in a custom cataraft, is not always better, IMHO. As for going with the Outcast, vs Scadden. Again, I think you'll be very happy with that choice. I have no issues with my Scadden, but customer service can be a bit slow to respond.

briansII
briansII

Postby Benny » December 8th, 2015, 3:04 pm

briansII wrote:Nice boat Benny. I bet you'll be very happy with it. Bigger, as in a custom cataraft, is not always better, IMHO. As for going with the Outcast, vs Scadden. Again, I think you'll be very happy with that choice. I have no issues with my Scadden, but customer service can be a bit slow to respond.

briansII

The Scadden issues are on certain forums. Could be that they are just bashing or they are really having issues with making actual contact with Dave Scadden. I have not personally owned one of his watercraft so I could not tell you first hand. I have seen my buddy Mike's frameless pontoon and it looks good, I believe he has the Outlaw Predator. He has no complaints and I know there are lots of folk out there that feel the same way.

It was a really tough choice picking a pontoon. Lots of choices out there, each having there place on the rivers or lakes. What it boils down to is personal choice and how much you want to spend.

I sold off some stuff that I was no longer using. It actually paid for the boat. My other half did not want me to tap into the bank account, so it went very well for me. Got rid of some unnecessary equipment and got a new pontoon boat in exchange. I would have gotten it sooner, I had some unexpected expenses. My trucks air conditioning went out and that was costly. Then I accidentally cut my dogs ear while trimming his hair and had to rush him to the vet, that was costly as well. Then his ear got infected, more money... Poor Mr Cutts
This was from 2008, he is now 13 years old, looks the same just older bones and aching joints.

Anyhow I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the new pontoon. Definitely looking forward to taking it out for a test float.
Benny

Postby stanbery » December 8th, 2015, 6:12 pm

Benny

Looks like a very nice new toy.
Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby midger » December 8th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Enjoy the new float Benny. Nice shot of your pup and sorry to hear about the ear incident. It's tough seeing our dog friends age and know that our shared time is getting short. I sure hated losing our dog after 18 years, and hope you are able to get some more quality time with yours.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » December 9th, 2015, 10:14 am

Benny wrote:The Scadden issues are on certain forums. Could be that they are just bashing or they are really having issues with making actual contact with Dave Scadden. I have not personally owned one of his watercraft so I could not tell you first hand. I have seen my buddy Mike's frameless pontoon and it looks good, I believe he has the Outlaw Predator. He has no complaints and I know there are lots of folk out there that feel the same way.

It was a really tough choice picking a pontoon. Lots of choices out there, each having there place on the rivers or lakes. What it boils down to is personal choice and how much you want to spend.

Even way back when I bought my Scadden, I had a few issues with customer service. It all got sorted out to my satisfaction, but it took some patience. Through the years I've heard folks having the same issues, but his boats are seem to be very popular. I've used the heck out of mine, but lately it sits collecting dust.

Good looking pooch!

briansII
briansII

Postby John Harper » December 9th, 2015, 1:56 pm

Bring that sucker up to the CWLs, Benny! You and Greg (Fishfreak911) can race each other on Lake 3! My money's on you.

Hope your dog Van Gogh is on the mend!

John
John Harper

Return to General Fly Fishing