REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

The Big FIVE-OH...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: The Big FIVE-OH...

Postby Papasequoia » December 11th, 2015, 3:58 pm

stanbery wrote:How many of you would want Jon to protect the beer
I guess if it was like bud or miller or coors it would be safe. :funnyup:

Sorry Jon I had to say it.

Jon

PBR would also be safe. ;)
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby Ants » December 11th, 2015, 6:46 pm

Jon is a great choice to protect or drink any beer. My imbibing typically comes from wine, but beer works when the wine bottle is empty.

As long as the steelhead run is still underway on the Costco River in Bakersfield, I will be bringing some of my brined, slow cook version.

It seems no one will go away hungry on Saturday night.

The birthday boy gets first acceptance/refusal rights on floating on a wooden McKenzie drift boat.

Ants
Ants

Postby WanderingBlues » December 11th, 2015, 7:04 pm

Ants wrote:
The birthday boy gets first acceptance/refusal rights on floating on a wooden McKenzie drift boat.

Ants

Here's to hoping the LADWP ups the flow a bit, Ants! I've always wanted to drift the Low O. BTW, I'll bring up a very nice Cab from Michael David Vineyards. A limited release worth sharing.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Chris Kuhn » December 12th, 2015, 12:23 am

I would love to, let's see if this house sells.

Anyone buy a house?
Denny Crane: Ah. You can see them in there. Look at the crystal clear water. My fly went right by his nose. Eat it you picky *.
Chris Kuhn

Postby Wingnut » December 12th, 2015, 9:05 am

Chris Kuhn wrote:I would love to, let's see if this house sells.

Anyone buy a house?

Not in Riverside!
Wingnut

Postby tree catcher » December 12th, 2015, 9:17 am

Count us in!!!
tree catcher

Postby Ants » December 12th, 2015, 10:56 am

Curtis,

The flows should not be a concern. The boat and two anglers should displace less than 600 pounds of water. If the water gets real thin, we may have to walk but the empty boat only needs about 2 inches to float.

The larger unknown is the transit time from put-in to take-out. The driving distances are short, but the river miles are long with no intermediate places to exit. I will check River distances on the map. The first trips will be short as I get a better idea of speed on the water.

Wine :-)

Ants
Ants

Postby stanbery » December 12th, 2015, 12:20 pm

Ant
Check your pm
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby WanderingBlues » December 12th, 2015, 1:33 pm

Treecatcher's brewing up a special, non IPA, brew for the weekend. Bout to get real up in here..
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby fivefish » December 13th, 2015, 1:40 am

I'd be there for you for sure if I wasn't two states away now. I hope you all have a blast!
fivefish

Postby BradW » December 13th, 2015, 9:44 pm

Curtis,
At first I thought you were a fellow Buckeye fan. You know OH-IO! Okay, okay.....bad

Sounds like a good reason to haul the travel trailer north. Count me in. I'll try to figure out something to appease the most discerning pallets of this group. Although, I'm a pretty basic chef. I'm thinking of another journey up the gorge.
Brad
BradW

Postby WanderingBlues » December 14th, 2015, 7:27 am

BradW wrote:Curtis,
At first I thought you were a fellow Buckeye fan. You know OH-IO! Okay, okay.....bad

Sounds like a good reason to haul the travel trailer north. Count me in. I'll try to figure out something to appease the most discerning pallets of this group. Although, I'm a pretty basic chef. I'm thinking of another journey up the gorge.
Brad

Buckeyes? I just threw up in my mouth... Rollllllll Tide!

And, yeah, we sure had a good time in the gorge last time. Gotta new area in there to take you that will blow your mind.
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby fshflys » December 14th, 2015, 7:37 am

Curtis, I might stop by on my way home from Mammoth Thurs, got to work Fri & the weekend. At 1st I was concerned about your dates, then I checked the NFL schedule & I say your probably ok. The following weekend is the weekend between the last playoff game & the Superbowl, that's the weekend the fly club from Bakersfield likes to invade the East side, One year, a heavy snow year, the unpaved section of Hot Creek was under 2 ft of snow, unpassable so there were 12 cars at the interpretive center. The good thing about that, I learned that a 45 min walk to the 1st parking lot in the canyon, then down to the creek & you had the whole place to yourself & the fishing was great.

As far as put in & take out for a float, I've been with Tom Loe a couple times, he put in on Line st, right in the center of Bishop, we floated all day, only saw a grandpa & his grandkids in 1 break of the tules then the take out clearing, we pulled in & Tom had a bike chained to a post. He rode his bike back to the truck on a unpaved road that runs along the river & picked us & the boat up. As the crow flies total distance 3/4 of a mile. I also did a float starting at 5 Bridges.
# of fishing days 2014, 12
fshflys

Postby Image2325 » December 14th, 2015, 8:24 pm

Wish I could go! Would be awesome to meet all of you. Heading up north to visit family that weekend.

Jeff P
Image2325

Postby flybob » December 15th, 2015, 8:59 am

Curtis, big congrats on making it to your 5th decade!

Barring no major malfunctions, I plan on being there to help you celebrate!

WanderingBlues wrote:
BTW, I'll bring up a very nice Cab from Michael David Vineyards. A limited release worth sharing.

Just ONE?

Since I am not a great nympher, I may just hang back and watch Papa watching the beer! :bananadance:

Sounds like this has the making of another "Classic"!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing