REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Help me understand Rio Versitip II

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Help me understand Rio Versitip II

Postby fivefish » December 13th, 2015, 4:53 pm

Just got my Redington Behemoth 7/8 and 8wt Rio Versitip II in the mail. I'm trying to understand what tips came with it. It has a tip wallet with 4 tips, but they aren't marked. Their website just says "comes with a selection of interchangeable tips". I'm a newbie to sinking/sink tips.

Here's the website photo of the line with the tips.
fivefish

Re: Help me understand Rio Versitip II

Postby NorcalBob » December 13th, 2015, 5:48 pm

The Rio Versitip system comes with four 15' tips. You attach one of them (your choice depending on sink rate you want) to the end via the loops, loop on an appropriate leader/tippet, tye on a fly, and then go fishing. You have a 1)floating tip (same color as the base flyline), 2) an intermediate tip (the clear one) (sinks about 1-2" per second), 3) a Type 3 sink tip (should have a yellow colored loop on a dark colored sinking section)(sinks about 3-4" per second), and 4) a Type 6 sink tip (should have a dark green colored loop on a dark colored sinking section)(sinks about 5-6" per second). Note: I have the original Versitip system, but I believe the color coding does not change between the I and II.
NorcalBob

Postby WanderingBlues » December 13th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Wait'll you cast a sinking line.l, especially on an 8wt. Waaaaaay different than what you're used to.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby fivefish » December 13th, 2015, 10:48 pm

Thanks Bob! I was thinking along those lines, but wasn't sure. The "clear" looks like light gray plastic to me, so I wasn't sure. I'm excited to use this in the rivers for the bigger fish (haven't hooked one yet, the rivers have been blown out all Nov and Dec). Also looking forward to using the fast sink along deeper docks and pilings in Lake Sammamish for the big smallmouth. The biggest I've caught so far was about 2 lbs and it was on a popper. Can't wait to pull some rabbit fur down deep.

The shop said that as soon as the river comes into shape it should have lots of steelhead. Hopefully I can stick my first on the fly soon.
fivefish

Postby briansII » December 13th, 2015, 11:55 pm

I don't know what the color coding is on the line you have, but this is straight from Rio's site.

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/sp ... sink-tips/

Between this and Bob's info you should be able to figure it out.

I have some older Rio tips, and I think the coding is colored bars?

briansII
briansII

Postby fivefish » December 14th, 2015, 2:07 pm

OK, I think I'm good. Going to head out to the river this afternoon because there's a break in the rain. Dropped from 40,000+ cfs to around 4500cfs right now, so hopefully some steelhead pushed in. The only way to find out I guess is to go throw some flies.
fivefish

Return to General Fly Fishing