REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Echo small water glass rod

A place to discuss the latest and greatest new gear

Echo small water glass rod

Postby wallyC » August 31st, 2017, 8:47 am

bought my wife the 7'10" 5wt. rod a month ago. she loves it. the slower action has improved her casting and the rods flexibility makes even small fish seem big. this years snow pack has made the search for dry fly water flows literally take us from one end of the Sierra's to the other. we are finally able to get into some of our favorite waters now, so imagine our surprise that after only 3 or 4 days of using her rod, the bottom reel seat came loose. I read a lot of reviews before buying the rod and only 1 review mentioned the reel seat (he didn't like the looks of it). the rod is a top locking system. not bad, but what it is mounted to is cork rings, putting a lot of pressure on the bottom ring, which failed. lucky for us we we're still at the truck instead of after hiking in 1 or 2 hours. duct tape made a temporary fix and we fished all day. yes, I had spare rods with me, and Deb could of used her other rod. I am wondering if anyone out there has experienced the same thing. yeah, rod warranty is in place, but do I trust the fix. also we are meeting my little sisters in mammoth, in 2 weeks, for a week of fishing and will endure the duct tape till after Nov.15. other than that little/big problem we are fish'n on.........................wallyC
wallyC

Re: Echo small water glass rod

Postby stanbery » August 31st, 2017, 7:20 pm

Wally

One thing that glue does not like is high temps. If the rod has been sitting in your car and it is getting above 100 it will loosing/soften up the glue on the reel seat so when you put the reel on it will come off.

I would just fix it if it was me, since you have the warranty just send it in.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby wallyC » September 2nd, 2017, 10:10 am

thanks Jon, called Rajeff (echo company) and spoke to Anna in warranty department. Very helpful, explained they had had some problems with glue adhesion in that model and to send it back no charge. Ask if gluing it myself would void the warranty. She said no, just use a good glue. I mentioned "gorilla glue", which just popped into my head due to commercial bombardment. Any comments/suggestions from anyone's experience doing this repair (rod seat) would be appreciated. Got a week to get it done, all though I will have some spare duct tape in my day pack...........wallyC
wallyC

Postby stanbery » September 5th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Wally

Use five minute epoxy that you can pick up at HD or Lowes and that will work fine.

DO NOT LEAVE rods in car when it gets above 100.

Jon
stanbery

Postby wallyC » September 18th, 2017, 5:05 am

thanks Jon, the glue seems to be working fine. 6 days of hard fishing out of Mammoth and rod seat is holding up. Water levels on most creeks are still high, but the MFSJ is almost perfect. Afternoon thunder storms with heavy hail on 2 days (mon. tues.) cut out 2 evenings of fishing. Ranger at entrance to Postpile said snowball sizes hail tues. at Reds Meadow...........wallyC
wallyC

Postby stanbery » September 18th, 2017, 4:58 pm

Wally

Glad it is working for you. One week to go then I will be fishing again.

Jon
stanbery

Return to Gear Review