REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Hi all! New member, small stream trout addict.

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

Postby huntingtheriverking » October 21st, 2017, 8:27 pm

Hi everyone!

Just joined the board at the recommendation of another fly fisherman. I recognize a few names from one of the other SoCal fishing forums.

As a little background, I simply love fishing, be it for just about any species. I started out on conventional gear, mainly fishing for bass and other warmwater species, then started targeting wild trout with ultra-lite (2lb mono, tiny small spinning reels, microjigs) in the local San Gabriel, San Bernardino mountain ranges. Really found my calling in these tiny hidden streams, unlike any other fishing I've done before, absolutely addicting (although I still chase bass, carp, etc).

At the urging of a friend, I started trying out fly fishing on these tiny mountain streams. It took the difficulty level up another notch (and another, and another, etc), but I'm having a blast. Also picked up a fly tying kit and started whipping up some incredibly ugly flies that occasionally catch fish. Still trying to figure out my presentation strategies on these local creeks, starting to get a few half-decent bow-n-arrow and rollcasts in, definitely enormous amounts of room to improve-and I love it!

Here's a little video I shot recently on an unnamed SoCal creek while fly fishing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbD_lpfq2CQ

Here's a couple of trout from my pre-fly fishing trips, all from local SoCal creeks, all released:

Anyway, looking forward to learning more about fly fishing, hello everyone! :) :)
huntingtheriverking

Re: Hi all! New member, small stream trout addict.

Postby clee » October 21st, 2017, 9:31 pm

Welcome to the board.
clee

Postby Rasputinj » October 21st, 2017, 10:02 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby Papasequoia » October 22nd, 2017, 8:27 am

Welcome!
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby WanderingBlues » October 23rd, 2017, 5:49 am

Welcome aboard. I fished the locals for years on 2# test, building my own micro spinners that would suit a particular water or condition. Then one day I politely waited while a couple of fly guys worked a run. Got to speaking with them and a week later I bought my first fly rod. It’s a slippery slope, one that you’ll never regret.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby DrCreek » October 23rd, 2017, 6:19 am

Always sweet to have someone fresh on board that actually posts !! Grateful for that... and welcome to you !
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby 1mocast » October 23rd, 2017, 9:46 am

Welcome
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby stanbery » October 23rd, 2017, 5:08 pm

Welcome aboard and nice videos as well.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby teejay » October 23rd, 2017, 7:25 pm

Hey, you made it over here. Awesome!
teejay

Postby briansII » October 24th, 2017, 8:29 am

Welcome to the jungle.

Cool video.

briansII
briansII

Postby huntingtheriverking » October 24th, 2017, 8:33 am

WanderingBlues wrote:Welcome aboard. I fished the locals for years on 2# test, building my own micro spinners that would suit a particular water or condition. Then one day I politely waited while a couple of fly guys worked a run. Got to speaking with them and a week later I bought my first fly rod. It’s a slippery slope, one that you’ll never regret.

Hmm, a custom micro spinner? Intriguing I've built a few micro hardbaits and I used to pour my own worms, but I never thought of making my own custom spinner. I think I do have the equipment for it, might be an interesting thing to tackle. Thanks for the idea
huntingtheriverking

Postby WanderingBlues » October 24th, 2017, 7:48 pm

huntingtheriverking wrote:
WanderingBlues wrote:Welcome aboard. I fished the locals for years on 2# test, building my own micro spinners that would suit a particular water or condition. Then one day I politely waited while a couple of fly guys worked a run. Got to speaking with them and a week later I bought my first fly rod. It’s a slippery slope, one that you’ll never regret.

Hmm, a custom micro spinner? Intriguing I've built a few micro hardbaits and I used to pour my own worms, but I never thought of making my own custom spinner. I think I do have the equipment for it, might be an interesting thing to tackle. Thanks for the idea

Noooooooooooooo.... We have to improve your fly tying skills. Seriously, though, I used to build spinners using Colorado or willow blades, depending on current, and I coated the blades in UV film several years before the big manufacturers started doing so. Eventually, on the advice of my father-in-law, I started tying a dropper fly to the rig. I loved it, but once the fly addiction started, there was nothing else.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Return to Welcome to FFA!