REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Waterproof Camera

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Waterproof Camera

Postby briansII » August 18th, 2009, 9:45 pm

RichardCullip wrote: Battery life leaves something to be desired but it lasts long enough for a day's trip if I charge it up the night before. I'd have to take an extra battery or two if I went on a long backpacking trip with it.

That's interesting. My battery died the other day when I wanted to snap a pic. Got me to thinking when the last time I charged the battery. I believe it was early to mid June. Granted I wasn't taking pics with it at regular intervals, but I do know I had taken a LOT of pictures(several fishing and family outings) with it on the one charge. I'm not used to having a camera battery last this long. The downer is it's a proprietary battery, so can't buy batteries(cheap or rechargeable)for it at just any store.

briansII
briansII

Postby 1mocast » August 18th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Mike,
I have to tell you...I am the "Chris" of cameras...I have broken at least 5 cameras. :doh:

I have used/abused both the Optio W20, W30. Cracked the screen on the W20. Dropped and broke something internal on the W30. They are nice except are not shockproof. The newer W60 is also not shockproof. The W80 is shockproof, I think.

I currently own an older Olympus 850 U/W. Since I will probably break it too, I bought it on sale at Costco. Plus it also used the same battery as the W30...

On the video, the Optio's were very nice. The Olympus 850 only allows a 10 sec clip... Do your homework.

I think the new W80 has a optical 5X zoom...

I think you can't go wrong with the Newer shockproof Optio W80, any of the shockproof Olympus line or even the D10. The nice thing about the D10 is you are getting a nicer lens with does help in shooting in low light conditions with an f-stop at 2.8 vs. 3.5 ...

I would even get a rubber silicone skin...And keep it on a zinger...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Papasequoia » August 19th, 2009, 7:56 am

Maybe you should consider wrapping your cameras in a ball of bubble wrap before you go fishing?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby McFlyfi » August 19th, 2009, 4:40 pm

I just got this from B & H, comparing the Olympus, Pentax, and Canon. Interesting reading comparing the three.
McFlyfi

Postby gabe » August 19th, 2009, 4:58 pm

Still got my Optio WPi. Its pretty old, been banged up like crazy, and i'm mean it really looks like it has been through a war, but it still going strong. Been using mine in the pool recently during these hot summer days with friends. The Optio WP series are good. I know there have been few that had faulty seals, but for the most part they are solid cameras. Either way, Canon, Pentax, or Olympus, it'll do just fine. I mean I hardly break it out these days for a CPR. I'm just to lazy.
gabe

Postby rayfound » August 19th, 2009, 5:10 pm

Compare side by side. On Paper the Canon is clearly beat... but honestly, I probably won't buy a WP cam until canon has one that is a little more affordable (or can get used)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_d10%2Coly_stylustough8000%2Cpentax_optiow80&show=all
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby beachbum » August 19th, 2009, 6:15 pm

That was a good comparison, Ray. Good info!
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Shane » August 20th, 2009, 7:27 am

I have lost and found......dropped and kicked....threw my bag with the camera in it......cant beat the Optio W series in my oppinion...I have the W20 and am hard on gear...keeps on taking great pics.

Shane
Shane

Postby Papasequoia » August 20th, 2009, 5:46 pm

DrCreek wrote:I am leaning like a falling tree towards the Pentax Optio W60 and the Pentax Optio W80. I've found both on eBay (for what I think are extremely reasonable prices), and both appear to have some really awesome tricks. I was also able to find silicone skins for both models as well. Now I'm just trying to figure out which one I want. Decisions, decisions.

Can't thank you guys enough. It was sooo much easier with your help. I more than appreciate the input and work.

Mike

Buy both, try them both out, decide which one you want to keep, then give me the one you don't want. It's time to upgrade my W20! :lol: :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby Papasequoia » August 21st, 2009, 4:09 pm

Coincidence: The W80 featured today on midcurrent.com

http://www.midcurrent.com/news/2009/08/ ... oot-w.html
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Papasequoia

Postby BirdDog » August 22nd, 2009, 9:49 pm

Hey Mike.....I use the Olympus Stylus 1070SW. I havent had any roblems with it and have had it for a few years. If you want to see some pictures taken with it check out the WRR report.
FISH BIG BUSHY DRIES!!!!
BirdDog

Postby theokieangler » August 24th, 2009, 6:49 am

Feel like I may have jinxed myself by giving the tough 8000 such a good review.

Took a picture of a buddy catching his first catfish on the fly and then put the camera in my pocket.... took it out about 20 min later to take another picture, but suddenly I had no picture taking abilities. The lens cover was stuck open and the camera wont work if the lens cover is stuck open. I am able to review all the picture already taken, but can't take any new ones.

I'm KICKING myself for not buying best buy's warranty, but I guess on the bright side at least I'll be able to let you know how my experience goes with olympus' customer service. I'm depressed... loved that camera.
theokieangler

Postby flybob » August 24th, 2009, 8:33 am

Lots of good stuff here!

Mike, FWIW, all my photo-posts since May-09 have been taken with the Canon D-10.

That is all....
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Trootfisher » September 3rd, 2009, 6:27 pm

I have the Canon D10 and it takes great photos- good color, sharp optics, good quality in low light as well.
It's a little bigger than the others, but that is the only downfall. Very easy to use, too.
I highly recommend it.
Trootfisher

Postby NorcalBob » October 2nd, 2009, 4:08 pm

Congrats. Now you have no excuse for not posting pics!!!!
Well, where are the pics????? :gun: :gun: :gun: :gun:
NorcalBob

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing