REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Who is more obsessive?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Who is more obsessive?

Rod builders
47%
Fly tiers
53%

Total votes : 19

Re: Who is more obsessive?

Postby Pete » October 21st, 2009, 11:26 pm

stanbery wrote:
Papasequoia wrote:
Raider wrote:But I have to tell ya, I think it's the rod builders who are really out there. One thread misplaced, one smidgen of a streak on a coating, and they are tearing the whole thing apart and starting over. C'mon now people, I can't believe that the rod builders are coming in second.:lol:

What is wrong with that? I'm I missing something? Would you much rather get a work of art or a piece of CRAP!!!
Man I just knew I should have let you do under on the Owens :doh: :doh: :gun: Darn Naked guy :o

Jon

Looks like somebody touched a nerve on an unstable obsessive compulsive rod building addict :funnyup:. Papa, Papa, Papa........never tell an obsessive compulsive that they're "off". That sets them... off as you just witnessed. Then again, any rod builders who use feathers on a rod are slightly off. Crazy rabbit, feathers are for flies :D. Of course Darrin probably thinks I am a touch off since I like small trim wraps with metallic threads. "Crazy Jon" Stanbery is right when he said "Would you rather get a work of art or a piece of CRAP".

Now if we could just get him to quit obsessing over the "wildfly" build and finish the * thing :D :D :D .
Pete

Postby stanbery » October 21st, 2009, 11:45 pm

Pete

I would love to get started with the build. Still waiting on the polls to see what everyone likes.

Jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » October 22nd, 2009, 12:37 am

I'm on the outside looking in.... I voted for fly tiers, seriously they're thinking about it while they're fishing. Not that that's a bad thing, I know it has to improve they're catching rates. I'm no expert but I've seen some beautiful flies tied, and rods built. But rod builders are only obsessive while building or contemplating their next piece of art. While fishing a rod builder may critique but that's all, a fly tier is never happy and always looking at for new and improved insects to tie!!!

No offense to anyone, I'm glad both of you are obsessive cuz I benefit from it as we all do. I'm specifically avoiding learning to tie and build cuz I have 3 obsessive hobbies that take up all my time and I don't need to devote even more time to one of them ;) ;)

Maybe oneday I'll do both or at least tie. Seems like a great hobby that goes well with beer drinking rather than scanning forums :D :D :D
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby Papasequoia » October 22nd, 2009, 7:16 am

Yeah, that reminds me, I have to dig out that story for the archives about the time Stanbery tried to kill me on a fishing trip. Let me just say, if you are wading up near the top of your waders following him down a sandbar and he says something like "This is where it gets tricky, step exactly where I step" you should run. If I had known back then that Jon was a double obsessive (and a streamer fanatic as well!) I would have stayed home with the knitting. :x :lol:
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby duckdog » October 23rd, 2009, 8:32 am

let me ask you guy's something , i know this guy that wondered how much of a difference there was in the feather count between 1,2 or 3 grade whiting saddle's, gold silver and bronze saddle's. so he counted the feathers on each saddle, all 26 of them. would that be cosidered obsessive ? would the fact that he has 26 of them be considered obsessive?[don't ask how many duck calls he own's].
in case you were wondering, #3's average between 265-275 feathers per. #2's-290-300 per.#1's-325-350 . bronze,silver,gold, run the same as 3,2,1. these were only counting feathers 6 inches or longer. the higher grade saddle's are a good deal, at 7 flie's per feather- that's........... oh crap, i need help, does anyone know a good therapist ?--- mike.
duckdog

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing