REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Vibram Vs Felt

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Vibram Vs Felt

Postby gabe » October 27th, 2009, 6:15 pm

I just picked up the Rivershed Vibrams. used it on the E Dub only so far. not much of a challenge their, but do notice they really don't work quite as well as felts. However for what they are they do a pretty nice job. I am very cautious while wading making sure i have good footing. so i'm not too worried yet. but i do plan on picking up the HardBite star cleats for me for that extra grip. just wait for the local fly shop to get em in.

The Rivershed is definitely heavier than my previous Korkers, but it does have a lot more ankle support which i like. I also like that it seems to be made a lot more rugged on the sides. I had a problem with Korkers taking too much damage on the sides. I still plan on getting another pair of Korkers because they are so comfortable for the long hikes.

btw, do any of you guys reinforce the stitching on your boots? glue or whatever....
gabe

Postby Benny » October 29th, 2009, 12:26 am

I have the Rivershed Vibrams as well and at first I thought they were a bit on the slick side but the rocks I was on had some slick snot like slime and even with felt sole it would have been slippery. Out on the dry boulders they are definitely better than the felt soles. From what I hear is the felt will be fazed out real soon with most manufacture going the way of the rubber soles. I like my new boots plenty of support vs my old Chotas. The Chotas were great but I really hated when they dried out and were so fricken hard to put on, plus the support on them was not what you would really want when wading slick snot cover rocks. All in all I do like the new Riversheds, now I just need to test them out on some really slick snot covered rocks. I'd would say anyone who is debating on getting the new rubber soles to go for it they're really not bad at all.
Benny

Postby Frank » October 29th, 2009, 8:53 am

I've had Simms felt, and just last Spring got the Vibram. As everyone has noted, Vibram is best on the dry. I think they're so close in the
stream that I'll take the better fit and ease of cleaning of Vibram over felt.

Will they help stop the spread of invasives? I doubt it, but then I take all the precautions I can, so at least when they spread
I know it wasn't me!

And, if I get up to the Cowlitz and the Hoh in WA this winter, well, that's why they make studs.

I could just be paranoid though, 'cause I take my wading staff everywhere.
Frank

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing