REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

LK winter insect study

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

LK winter insect study

Postby MattyD » December 15th, 2009, 2:09 pm

I felt that I should post on this to give anyone interested a heads up.

My friend Richard is a very knowledgable entomologist who has done numerous studies on the LK caddis and other insects. He has snorkled, sent insect samples to the experts as well as many other related duties involving aquatic insects. He has fished the river for over 50 years. I approached him some months ago with the idea we should do a study this winter on the LK. Our aim was to solve some of the issues with the baetids and how it relates to our fishing experience. After this study is complete it will packaged into some type of downloadable format. Some of the things covered in this will prove very useful the fly fisher. The study will consist of information on how and where fish move in the river and water column in response to the beatis activity. Also included will be identification of baetid sub-species and the relevance to the main baeitid hatch. Fishing techniques, flies, approach and leader construction will all be covered. This finished product will include video clips, photos and plenty of literature and taxonomy.
So far the study has gone pretty well and we have compiled a lot of information that is being sorted through. Our goal is provide reliable information to those who are interested. Feel free to PM me if you like or post up any useful information you would like to share. Thanks
MattyD

Re: LK winter insect study

Postby RichardCullip » December 15th, 2009, 3:44 pm

Sounds like useful and very interesting stuff. I'd love to see the final draft. The only thing I've learned over the past three winters of chasing fish on the LK is that they like to eat flies that are too small for me to see. ;) ;)
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Return to General Fly Fishing