REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fly rods: 2-piece or 4-piece (3, 5)? Which do you prefer?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Fly rods: 2-piece or 4-piece (3, 5)? Which do you prefer?

Postby fly_baby » March 4th, 2010, 11:58 am

Is it worth paying the extra money for a 4-piece rod? I know they're more convenient for traveling but...

Just curious.
Carpe Diem does not mean 'fish of the day'
fly_baby

Re: Fly rods: 2-piece or 4-piece (3, 5)? Which do you prefer?

Postby Sasha » March 4th, 2010, 1:19 pm

I really do not have a preference other than where I am fishing. If I am fishing easy to get to places I do not mind my 2 piece rods. If I have to walk a bit I tend to like the compactness of my 3 and 4 piece rods. I own 2, 3 and 4 piece rods; while my favorite rods happen to be 3 pieces they are not my favorite because they are 3 pieces.
Sasha

Postby flybob » March 4th, 2010, 1:34 pm

Black Diamond Fly Fishing demands a 4pc!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby Rockstar Fisherman » March 4th, 2010, 1:44 pm

I always assumed that 4 piece rods would be a piece of junk. However, when I came out of my ignorance and actually fished with them I now will no longer buy 2 piece rods. That's just how much I like them, plus they're easier to travel with and of course with which I do lots of. I don't have anything bad to say about 2 piece rods though. From my personal experience I just like 4 even 5 pieces better.

Mike
"Live life before you die"
States fished: AZ, CA, NV, OR, WY, MT, IN, WI, ID, UT
Foreign Countries fished: CZ, NZ, SL, PL, CI
Rockstar Fisherman

Postby NorcalBob » March 4th, 2010, 2:17 pm

What everyone says (including the good DR)!!!! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
The only issue these days is travelling convenience and how much that is worth to you. The shorter (more sections) the easier it is to travel (by air, car, bike, or foot!). For those that think multi-piece fly rods don't cast well, that's old history. Multi-piece rods cast just fine. Even 7 piece rods!!!! I have not bought anything but four piece (or more) fly rods in many many years. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
NorcalBob

Postby rayfound » March 4th, 2010, 2:25 pm

I'd be unlikely to ever purchase a 2 piece. 3 is OK, 4 good, 5 is awesome... more than 5 starts to feel a bit goofy, but I wouldn't mide a Stowaway 6 or whatever for travel.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby tyingfool » March 4th, 2010, 2:38 pm

JUST SO MUCH EASIER TO STORE AND PACK.

THANKS DAVID
Aspire to inspire before you expire.
tyingfool

Postby midger » March 4th, 2010, 2:46 pm

In rods from 3-8 weights, I prefer 4 pieces. The 4 piece rods break into two pieces for easier carrying in my DB Dun rod carrier that allows two rods to be rigged. That way when I do floats, I can keep a rod rigged for nymphing/streamers, and one rigged for dries. Odd piece rods won't break into even lengths, so to me anyway, they aren't the ones I seek. A 6 piece would be just fine, but those are few and far between.

A 2 piece rod is also fine for the above purposes, however, I don't like the length of the tube and the difficulty of traveling with a longer tube on the airlibnes, which a good amount of my fishing travel is done on.

I don't generally buy 2 piece rods anymore unless:

it is a rod I know I won't Backpack with,
take on an airline
or it is a cult rod like the Sage 389-2 Light Line where I know I can resell if I wanted to.

The aftermarket for rods of multipieces is far better than the market for 2 piecr rods.

Maybe in saltwater rods the answer would be different??? Dean?
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby NorcalBob » March 4th, 2010, 3:11 pm

<<<Maybe in saltwater rods the answer would be different??? Dean?>>>
For fly rods, no. Multi-piece (4 or more) fly rods make up over 90% of all fly rods sold today. Including SW models. For conventional rods, yes. The multi-piece craze has not hit yet.
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » March 4th, 2010, 3:18 pm

midger wrote:In rods from 3-8 weights, I prefer 4 pieces. The 4 piece rods break into two pieces for easier carrying in my DB Dun rod carrier that allows two rods to be rigged. That way when I do floats, I can keep a rod rigged for nymphing/streamers, and one rigged for dries. Odd piece rods won't break into even lengths, so to me anyway, they aren't the ones I seek. A 6 piece would be just fine, but those are few and far between.

A 2 piece rod is also fine for the above purposes, however, I don't like the length of the tube and the difficulty of traveling with a longer tube on the airlibnes, which a good amount of my fishing travel is done on.

I don't generally buy 2 piece rods anymore unless:

it is a rod I know I won't Backpack with,
take on an airline
or it is a cult rod like the Sage 389-2 Light Line where I know I can resell if I wanted to.

The aftermarket for rods of multipieces is far better than the market for 2 piecr rods.

Maybe in saltwater rods the answer would be different??? Dean?

Well, I was going to write out a reply, but no need now. You nailed it for me.

briansII
briansII

Postby beachbum » March 4th, 2010, 4:05 pm

I have a bunch of both, and with the newer 4 pc rods, I can not tell the difference, even with my salt water rods. Because I fly a lot with my rods, a 4 pc fits in my fishing bag, and doesn't cost me for extra luggage.

If you mostly car fish, a 2 pc is great, but a 4 pc or more is sure better for flying, hiking, and general travel.
Set the hook!
beachbum

Postby Ming Moua » March 4th, 2010, 8:30 pm

I prefer quatro pieces for getting it around especially in the car. Ming
http://www.flycastfirst.com/ WHERE FLY FISHING BEGINS
Ming Moua

Postby RichardCullip » March 4th, 2010, 10:29 pm

I strongly prefer 4 pieces rods. They give me the flexibility I need. They can be one piece rods when being transported a short distance btwn fishing spots (they fit nicely inside my Suburban as one piece rods). I can break them down in the middle and they pack up just like a two piece rod would (they fit this way in my cloth Rigged & Ready bags). They can break down into 4 piece rods and go in short hard travel tubes when traveling by airline. From my perspective there's no disadvantage in a modern 4 piece rod while 2 and 3 piece rods limit your travel carrying options.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby 1mocast » March 4th, 2010, 10:38 pm

I agree with all of the above. I would only add that I have only one 2-piece rod, a 6 foot 2 wt which isn't too long. I personally enjoy using a 5 piece 7 1/2 foot 3 wt for hiking. I can easily stick the rod inside my backpack and not tip anyone off to the fishes in the water...
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby duckdog » March 5th, 2010, 9:11 am

when i travel with karen and the pups on trips(3 dogs=3 crates to keep them in)there is a lot of stuff to pack in the truck. when she decided she had to have a border terrier my retort was "well you know- i'll need to get a couple of 4 piece rods because the 2 piece rods won't fit with the addition of that 12 pound dog" she gave me that look that only a wife can give . got 2 4 piece rods , i love em both. unless i got an insane deal on a 2 piece i'd rather have a 4 piece. i have no problem w/ 2 piece rods but that terrier is getting a little chubby, at 13 pounds there is even less room in the truck !
mike
duckdog

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing