REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Fly rods: 2-piece or 4-piece (3, 5)? Which do you prefer?

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Fly rods: 2-piece or 4-piece (3, 5)? Which do you prefer?

Postby fly_baby » March 5th, 2010, 11:30 am

Thanks for everyone's input. I have only 4-piece rods because of space and convenience. I have the same issues as everyone else - limited space in the car, hiking, etc. I haven't been fishing long enough to have used the early 4-piece rods so I only know how good 4-piece rods are now.

Classic rods show up on ebay and they're usually 2-piece ones and are priced pretty well - thinking of Sage XP 4-6wt models.

Any suggestions on less expensive cases that allow you to keep your rig setup?

Thanks!
Carpe Diem does not mean 'fish of the day'
fly_baby

Postby NorcalBob » March 5th, 2010, 12:48 pm

They make them. But the good DR won't like it because it's ORVIS!!!!!!!!!!! :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx ... t_id=12297
NorcalBob

Postby midger » March 5th, 2010, 1:19 pm

There are a lot of travel cases available that allow you to keep your rods rigged. I have several, with my favorites being made by DB Dun and Clear Creek, but others are probably just as nice and would keep your rigs ready to go just as well. Just make sure the reel area is padded. Here is one seller on eBay:

http://stores.ebay.com/Chicken-Licken-Manufacturing_FLY-ROD-CASES_W0QQ_fsubZ2QQ_sidZ22133539QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

But there are always other types of cases offered if you just do a search for fly rod cases. In a quick search I noticed a couple of DB Duns for sale now.

I do prefer the double carriers so I can keep two rods rigged. The two piece rods go well in these carriers. Odd pieced rods not so well unless you break them completely down into individual sections.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » March 5th, 2010, 2:35 pm

NorcalBob wrote:They make them. But the good DR won't like it because it's ORVIS!!!!!!!!!!! :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :fart: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

I have this case(not the same color so they may have updated it)in a 3 rod configuration. Very nice case.

I have some of Blanton's Rigged N Ready rod cases/socks.

http://www.sealevelflyfish.com/Site/Acc ... _Bags.html

They work great when you need some, but not a lot of protection. Stashed on or under the backseat headed to the local river/lake, or in a boat locker. These don't look all that hard to make. Mrs Fly Bob?

briansII
briansII

Postby fly_baby » March 5th, 2010, 3:01 pm

briansII wrote:
I have this case(not the same color so they may have updated it)in a 3 rod configuration. Very nice case.

briansII

What case are you talking about?
fly_baby

Postby briansII » March 5th, 2010, 3:40 pm

fly_baby wrote:
briansII wrote:

briansII

What case are you talking about?

The Orvis case that I quoted from Bob's reply.

It's on the expensive side, but a very nice case. Looking at the options, I believe my case is no longer made. Mine is made for 3 rigged rods. I can fit 3 trout rigs comfortably, but my bigger setups, 7wt and up, are a bit too tight in the reel pockets. That's probably why they went to a max of 2 rods.

briansII
briansII

Postby fflutterffly » March 5th, 2010, 8:32 pm

With the advent of 4 piece rods the price of 2 piece rods dropped. Now most places are giving them away. I like 4 piece for the ease when traveling. Since I've never packed in a rod I think that info should come from Papa or the other who do it often.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby briansII » March 6th, 2010, 8:25 am

Today, in honor of this thread, I'm going to fish a 5 piece rod(LT5 4wt), and take a 3 piece rod(SP 5wt) as a backup. While both are great rods, they are a bit of a hassle to get to the river. Being they break down in odd numbered pieces, it doesn't fit in the back of my truck as nicely as a 2 or 4 piece. When they are rigged, the tip sections seem to have a mind of their own. I need to be extra careful about slamming the door on it. Sometimes little things like that mean they get left at home, and the other rods get out to play.

briansII
briansII

Postby whitefish ed » March 6th, 2010, 9:39 am

i like one piece rods, so i buy 2pc ones and glue em together. saves a lotta glue over 3-4-5 piece rods.
whitefish ed

Postby castaway » March 6th, 2010, 1:05 pm

2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby Papasequoia » March 6th, 2010, 3:47 pm

I have a six piece, 3wt, 7' long Redington Wayfarer that breaks down and fits into a 17" rod tube. I have used it a lot and it is a nice rod that casts fairly well. But, I would consider it a specialty rod. It tucks easily into a daypack or suitcase to bring along when you might do some fishing and don't want to take up a lot of space with gear. However, if you know that you will be fishing, a 4 piece rod packs down just fine for backpacking, day hiking for fish, or even squeezing into a good-sized suitcase. I have taken a two piece, 9' rod backpacking before and it can be a pain because it keeps hitting low hanging branches etc. as you hike along.

Edit: If you are looking for a four piece on the cheap, the current deal on Deals on the Fly is this:
Ross Worldwide Essence OS Outfit - Size:3/4wt - 8ft 6in 4pc
The Essence® fly fishing outfits include the following products:

* Essence® FS series fly rod, 4-piece design – great for travel
* Flystart® series fly reel outfit – pre-spooled with premium American made fly line, backing and a tapered leader
* Rod tube/case sold separately
* Lifetime warranty on rod and reel

I have no idea what kind of a rod/reel/line combo this is. However, at $69.95 (65% off the regular price of $199.95) it's kind of hard to go wrong.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby fly addict » March 7th, 2010, 8:23 am

I really don’t care how many sections are in a rod. What is important to me is being on the water fishing. I have 2,3,4 pcs rods that are great fishing rods.

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby fly_baby » March 8th, 2010, 1:25 pm

Thanks to all for your opinion. So, from what I gather 4-piece rods are the way to go because the size is right for travel, hiking/backpacking and fishing. 2-piece rods are great if you're staying in one place and size isn't an issue. Is that about right?
fly_baby

Postby rayfound » March 8th, 2010, 1:44 pm

Yep, the only advantage is the more pieces the easier it is to pack, store, fit in a trunk, etc...
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing