REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Mexican Golden Trout and other species

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Mexican Golden Trout and other species

Postby StevenOjai » October 21st, 2008, 7:42 am

To answer your question, Sasha, I think the CDFG does use discretion in how it plants hatchery trout. They started using discretion when they formed and recognized "Wild Trout" Streams. They are also much more cognizant of the genetic disruptions hatchery stocking has produced within our Golden subspecies and other native fish. The hatchery program produces about 12 million "catchable" trout each year within the State. Could you imagine the fishing pressure on the wild stock if we didn't have a sizeable stocking program? Ray brought up a good point, however, on stocking fishless areas to allow a population get started. We have over 4000 dams and structures within the Sierras that keep any natural migration of Coastal Rainbows from these waters. A stocking program, preferably, transfering neighboring wild rainbow trout, would be a great help in expanding their range and adaptations to various habitats. The Yellow Frog stuff has a great deal of merit within the historic fishless areas but I'm talking about those mid- to high-elevations where the trout should be anyway. I went through the Spotted Owl wars. I hate it when factions start pointing fingers at other species rather than ourselves.
StevenOjai

Postby Sasha » October 22nd, 2008, 10:23 am

Steve, Thanks for the answer I just hope that other state's DFGs do the same thing. One only has to look at the disaster that happened in Lake Victoria to see what happens when we introduce species where they dont belong.
Sasha

Postby 1mocast » October 23rd, 2008, 4:21 pm

Sasha wrote:One only has to look at the disaster that happened in Lake Victoria to see what happens when we introduce species where they dont belong.
Sasha,
Agreed. We can all look at multiple examples where introduced species just wipes out the natives. Guam and the Brown snake. All the native plants and animals in Hawaii, can I say - Brown Trout without getting slammed???

BTW, You do have cichilds in the head... ;)
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Sasha » October 23rd, 2008, 4:31 pm

1mocast wrote:
Sasha wrote:One only has to look at the disaster that happened in Lake Victoria to see what happens when we introduce species where they dont belong.
Sasha,
Agreed. We can all look at multiple examples where introduced species just wipes out the natives. Guam and the Brown snake. All the native plants and animals in Hawaii, can I say - Brown Trout without getting slammed???

BTW, You do have cichilds in the head... ;)

Well they are my area of expertise, I want to learn as much about Trout as I do Cichlids, however I am having a harder time finding things to read about trout that are not in laymen’s terms. With Cichlids I not only have studied them I have been able to keep, breed and observe them since I was young. I do know about other types of fish I just default back to them because they were the first species I took the time to learn about. I also have this crazy idea to start keeping trout but that is for another thread.
Sasha

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing