REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

For Members just starting on the site......

Here's where new(er) members can check in for how to's, tips, etiquette, etc. Feel free to ask questions as 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..'

For Members just starting on the site......

Postby WanderingBlues » November 3rd, 2011, 5:27 pm

Welcome to Fly Fishing Addicts! On this site, you'll find some of the finest folks in the fly fishing community. They represent a full range of experience, interests, and geographic locations. Most are friendly, a few are cantankerous, but all passionate enough to call themselves Addicts.

A few pointers to get you off on the right foot.....

There's a section in the General Fly Fishing forum to introduce yourself. Take a moment to say hello and let us know where you are from. I can promise you you'll get some responses and you might find a new fishing buddy in the process.

Don't make your first post a request for information on "Such and Such" Creek. Even if it's a well known water, most of our members have taken the time to find good pools, runs, or locations. Respect the fact that they put in the work and diligence and are wisely careful not to post up that info on open forums. If they do respond, it will most likely be in the form of a PM so internet trolls can't take advantage of the collective knowledge.

Don't hot-spot locations! Let me repeat... Don't hot-spot! It's okay to to mention waters that are on the well beaten path. For instance, no one will grief you if you post about an epic day on Lake Crowley. It's a heavily stocked 'put and take' fishery. However, if you are on on a smaller water that has self-sustaining wild trout, make sure not to use the actual name of the water, directions, or photo's that feature identifiable landscapes. This is particularly true of any SoCal waters. With 20 million folks in the area, a fantastic fishery can be reduced to barren waters within a season. Use creative names for the water, or don't use names at all. Vagueness equals continued good fly fishing!

Fish handling is everything! If you need to get that great picture, make sure you handle the fish with concern for it's release. Don't lay the fish on gravel, leaves, etc, or hold it by the gills. I can only tell you that you will hear from other members if you do, and it won't be pretty! Make sure your hands are wet prior to handling the fish, particularly with trout. They need that protective slime intact.

Do take the chance to fish with other members! The only way to really know someone is to spend some time sharing a piece of water. That's where this site shines! It's members get together more than any site I've been on. There's nothing better than getting to meet someone you've known through their postings, and to share our common bond of fly fishing.

And finally, remember we all bring something to the table. It's okay to disagree and argue. Just keep it respectable and away from personal attack or insult. With over 1000 active members, not all will get along and that's fine. But don't drag personal animosities into the open forums. There's other sites for that.

If there are other tips the membership wants to offer, please feel free to jump in.

Thanks, and Welcome Aboard!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Re: For Members just starting on the site......

Postby 1mocast » November 3rd, 2011, 7:20 pm

I think that sums it up exactly! :rockon:

The only thing I can add is that this site is Family Friendly so be careful what you post.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Papasequoia » November 3rd, 2011, 9:32 pm

1mocast wrote:I think that sums it up exactly! :rockon:

The only thing I can add is that this site is Family Friendly so be careful what you post.

No more pictures of Bob's backside?
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby flybob » November 4th, 2011, 6:19 am

Hey Curtis, Great Job!

The only suggestion I have, and I am not sure if you are already doing it, is to send it in the "registration confirmation" email to the requester.
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby fly addict » November 4th, 2011, 9:16 am

I think for the common good of the forum to continue to survive and grow it must be mandatory that all members be active in the current conversations on the forum. Members who don’t post are causing the active members to respond to all posts even if they feel like they don’t want too. If a member is not actively posting a minimum amount, he or she would be fined! Of course there would be exceptions for union members, government employees, excluding current military personal, other exceptions are for, retired people, married couples, devoiced people, single parents with children, the unmarried, gays, unemployed people, people who make over $250,000 a year, small business owners, the poor, people with disabilities, excluding the blind, native Americans, all races, religions, creeds and color, illegals, the illiterate, aliens from other planets, and convicted felons on parole, including registered democrats!

The money collected in fines could be used to purchase essentials like beer for the group outings!;)

Mark
Make Fly Fishing Great Again!
fly addict

Postby flybob » November 4th, 2011, 10:01 am

fly addict wrote:I think for the common good of the forum to continue to survive and grow it must be mandatory that all members be active in the current conversations on the forum. Members who don’t post are causing the active members to respond to all posts even if they feel like they don’t want too. If a member is not actively posting a minimum amount, he or she would be fined! Of course there would be exceptions for union members, government employees, excluding current military personal, other exceptions are for, retired people, married couples, devoiced people, single parents with children, the unmarried, gays, unemployed people, people who make over $250,000 a year, small business owners, the poor, people with disabilities, excluding the blind, native Americans, all races, religions, creeds and color, illegals, the illiterate, aliens from other planets, and convicted felons on parole, including registered democrats!

The money collected in fines could be used to purchase essentials like beer for the group outings!;)

Mark

Mark, sounds like you have experience authoring TAX laws!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby jumpy » April 30th, 2012, 4:33 pm

8-) Hello,I'm a New guy.My name is Scott. I live in SC. This looks like a great site. Looking forward to do some exploring. Thanks, Scott
jumpy

Postby darrin terry » April 30th, 2012, 5:10 pm

HI Scott. Welcome to the addicts support group.

When you get a minute, why don't you check out the following link and take a bit to read a little about some of us and give us an intro to yourself.

http://www.flyfishingaddicts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=586

Looking forward to you contributions.

Darrin
How do you tie the fly to your hooks without killing them with the thread? I keep cutting them in half.
darrin terry

Postby WanderingBlues » April 30th, 2012, 11:55 pm

Welcome aboard Scott!
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Artin » May 1st, 2012, 9:06 am

Welcomen zee Scott.
I know those threads are like a final exam in school! But they help us help you!

Enjoy the site and don't be a one hitter quitter!

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby riprap » June 19th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Ya' know.......There are a lotta' familiar names on this site. Is this the new hangout for all FF southwestern forum expats? If that's what I've stumbled onto then cool and howdy :booty: Actually found this last year then promptly lost it again due to computer failure. That was probably the last time I checked in over at the the other site and noticed things weren't what they once were. But, this place seems cozy...... Mebbe I'll check in here more often.
Randy....riprap
riprap

Postby 1mocast » June 20th, 2012, 6:55 am

Welcome riprap. Yes some of us have been here since the demise of the old SW board. Kinda sad really what a corporate merger can do to a great site.

There is a Topic in General FF - "Members Bio - Where do you come from?" and if you get a chance, go ahead and introduce yourself.

Hang out, salivate and post some of your trips if you get a chance.
Dead emoji's due to Photobucket. :(
1mocast

Postby Papasequoia » June 20th, 2012, 11:46 am

Yeah, we're kind of a mosh pit of three boards mixed together: the SW board, the Kern board and the GoldenStateTrout board, along with a bunch of newer people leaping into the pit from the stage. Party on, Garth. Party on, Wayne. :D
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby WanderingBlues » June 16th, 2013, 6:18 am

Bump
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby ttheharv1t » November 4th, 2013, 11:01 pm

hi i am the harv new to the site new to fly fishing less then a year hope this site can help me :) and zee strated me fly fishing just before he went home :)
ttheharv1t

Next

Return to Welcome to FFA!